Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BassGear.com's Search Engine is a PIECE!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Bassgear.com has the worst search engine in the world. I search for Ampeg preamp, with "For Sale Ad's only," "Bass Preamps/EQ's", and "2 weeks" checked and I get hundreds of ads for Basses, cabs, and everything inbetween! It pisses me off! Does anyone agree?

P.S. Kind of venting. :spit:

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    First off, you're probably typing what you want and tapping the enter button. Try typing your search entry in the space provided and clicking the search button with the mouse instead of hitting enter from the keyboard. That should do it. ;)

Secondly, it's completely, 100% FREE to buy and sell... So shut it. :spit:

P.S. I'm kind of venting as well... :eek: :D

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Nope. It's not the most powerful but I think it works pretty well if you understand it.

I just tried that search and got nothing... because there was nothing. There's an Ampeg preamp under "wanted".

One thing you have to understand is that the people posting the ads are responsible for their content.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    As Joe said, this one is PEBKAC (Problem exists between keyboard and chair) ;)

Click on the search button rather than pressing enter.

5. Ah ha!, the Enter button and PEBKAC strike again. And Brad, I was just using "Ampeg preamp" as an example because I could remember what I searched for. Thanks guys :)

P.S. We all need to vent sometimes Joe :)

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Understood. The problem is again, if the seller doesn't post exactly what you're looking for exactly the way you enter it exactly where you're looking for it, you won't connect. There isn't that much stuff to wade through in a month's time so my recommendation is to simply cast a wider neck.

If I were looking for an Ampeg preamp I'd leave every category checked (I always search every category no matter how unrelated it may be), try "Ampeg preamp", "Ampeg", "preamp" and "pre". If I were looking for a specific model I'd also try "SVP" for example. And always use the "Search" button when you're searching on specific words.

You can also do the regular search by specific category but the rule of thumb is GIGO (garbage in, garbage out). I've seen people put stuff for sale under "Wanted" for example.

I think that for what it offers as a free place to sell gear, it's flat out excellent.