1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'Bassgear' rant

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassteban, Nov 13, 2006.

1. First, the guy selling an old Tobias brochure for $75. :eyebrow: Then there's a guy listing old Bassplayer mags(granted there are 16 years worth plus some g****r mags & other stuff in there, but come on, man)for $250. :meh: I just gave away a couple of years worth of these(to whoever would pay shipping)& the guy gave me a couple bucks for my trouble- which was very cool. I'm not bitter about missing a few bucks, just griping about what seems to me slight overpricing. Rant over. For a more legitimate question, though, has anyone else had nothing resembling good results from bassgear lately? I mean it's like it's only being read by a Nigerian net scam club- and a sloppy one at that! OK, rant really over now. Back to your regularly-scheduled questions re: best______for metal. Thanks for listening. :rolleyes:

2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I just found bassgear and I must say that I don't get it. Without any feedback or community, it seems ripe for ripoff, scammers and bad feelings. The only way I would buy something off that board would be if I found it locally, or could travel to inspect the item prior to purchase.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'll only buy from Bassgear with a conversation over the phone. Actually, that's where I found my mint condition (nearly brand new) Fender FSR 70's Precision Bass for a darn good price.

4. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    i post for sale ads on bassgear form time to time. and once made a guy mad in san fransisco because he wanted a pedal form me but i forgot to get back to him after we spoke on the phoen and communicated a bit. it was my fault, but why pay to have a dod envelope filter shipped acrss the country for 30 dollars when they are 10 dollars more on MF. whoops. recently i posted an add and got a few responses. i was able ot google one of the potential buyers and it seems as though things wil go down pleasantly.
    i have to admit, i browse bassgear everyday, but for the most part i hold a higher level of trust in the talkbass classifieds.

5. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    still a step above ebay. :p

6. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I've stopped listing anything on there because I inevitably get a large number of annoying scam emails. Usually I get at least 10 times more scammers than seemingly legitimate buyers. I've had much better luck selling stuff on ebay.

7. I have sold through bassgear(it's been quite awhile)but the last few times I listed anything, ALL I got were obvious scammers. :spit: I still window shop there(again, obviously)but I would not pursue anything that didn't involve meeting unless I already knew the actual seller. *Rant back on momentarily* And what about these guys who start a little flame war on the site? Potty mouths, too. Disgusting...
    *Off- for now...*

8. Spoiled Grape

Spoiled Grape I <3 Darkstar

May 29, 2003
    Riverside, CA
    I bought a very nice Stingray off Bassgear.com a few years back. In retrospec, it wasn't the wisest move I've ever made, and I will probably never buy from a listing there again, as I hold a higher level of trust in TB.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've purchased and sold things on Bassgear. Thing is, you can blame the website as its content is up to the users. Being smart about how you conduct business is usually all it takes to avoid getting ripped off. Also, I don't mind the scam emails so much as I usually only get one or two per item I list, and they usually get delivered straight to my junk mail box anyways.

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

What Bryan said. I found my former Sadowsky R524 on Bassgear at a VERY reasonable price, from a very nice seller.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I only make deals on TB, the Pit, and my local craigslist. I don't think bassgear is a bad thing, I have just never had to use it.

-Mike