1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Basshead for Synthbass and Electric bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kas_lar, Mar 30, 2009.

1. kas_lar

kas_lar

Jan 12, 2005
    Denmark
    Hi Everybody

I need a new good basshead - A Fender P bass and a Moog Little Phatty is hooked up to my Tonebone. The DI goes to the soundguy, and the jackoutput goes to my Markbass or GK 800RB.

Normally I practice and choose my sounds for the synth parts at home on my Adam linear studio speakers but when I'm playing on my bass amp the sound changes alot.. To much. I'm thinking of buying a new more accurate head.

I use a Schroeder 410L and a 1212R.

I'd like any kind of advice regarding a new head or maybe completely new setup...
    Thanks!

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'd recommend a mic pre/channel strip type of preamp, plus a PA power amp. A common complaint bassists have about studio channel strips is that they do not color the tone pleasingly, the way a bass-specific preamp may. In your case, you want less coloration. Add to that any good ss power amp should add no coloration.

That said, the MB and GK heads are not super colored sounding... it might be the Schroeders that are causing the changes you don't like. They are not flat-response monitors.

3. kas_lar

kas_lar

Jan 12, 2005
    Denmark
    Hi Bongomania.
    I'm a student at the Danish Royal Music Academy - The school offers lots of free band practicerooms with all sorts of different amps and head. The difference between my own gear (studio and bass) and the gear at school are way too big, and maybe bringing my own head would help the sound. That's the first step.

Which flat-response cabs do you recommend?

And I guess you're talking about adding a mic pre/channel strip to my home studio/practice space? or the live amp? I've got a old aguilar preamp someway I might add...

4. GODSENT

GODSENT

Mar 2, 2007
    Hi. I play gospel/ r&b and I would recommend an epifani rig. Its the closest thing to playing out of a keyboard amp for synth bass ( I use a roland juno) and the 2 channel ul heads would fit right up your alley. Not to mention its light. As far as which cab configuation, the 10's are more punchy and the 12's are more to the deeper side of things. Both cab configuations offer great bass tho. You could even add a 15 if money is no object.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The channel strip and power amp would replace your amp head. An amp head is just a preamp and a power amp in one box. Choosing a relatively uncolored preamp and an uncolored power amp would provide the least change to your sound.

No bass cabs are "really really flat response", but relatively speaking the Acme Low B2 is flatter than most; you might also look into the Barefaced Cabs "Big One" from the UK, or a design by Bill Fitzmaurice, or a 3-way PA cab instead of a bass-specific cab.

6. kas_lar

kas_lar

Jan 12, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks I'll check it out.
    How about the DB750? Is it flat-reponse?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think your problem is that you need to create your sounds in the amp you're going to gig with, not studio monitors.

8. kas_lar

kas_lar

Jan 12, 2005
    Denmark
    Yeah Jimmy You're right, that's the first problem..
    But the sound from my bass amp setup is so dull and muddy. I guess I'll have to accept it. It's just hard to heard what kind of sound the PA guy receives from me when my own monitor( my bass amp and cab) is so muddy.

9. renejaime

renejaime

May 25, 2005
    Austin
    i don't know if you have access to a Bergantino HT322 but that cab kicked ass when I was doubling on bass and laptop/synth

forgot to add what I used for power. This may sound odd but I really didn't want/didn't have the money to go out and buy a dedicated power amp so I used what I had on hand which was a Berhinger Xenyx 502 mini mixer going into the power section of a DB750... had my bass on the main strip and the laptop/synth signal go into a stereo inputs... and I brought DIs for both bass and synth lines and placed them before the mixer.