Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Bassic" Bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by kcm, Mar 24, 2001.

1. kcm

kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    Ok guys, we all rage about Wooten, Flea, Clarke, King and Sheehan and all the other flash gits, but what about the bassic (pun intended) 4ths, 8ths, 16ths players. No frills just sitting on the groove.

My top three would be 1. Michael Anthony
    2. Rick Savage
    3. Cliff Williams

Any thoughts??

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Donald Duck Dunn. THERE is a man who knows how to play bass. Not flashy, and not so simple that you would ever consider his playing "easy". Playing slow is easy, playing slow and WELL is difficult, and he does it.

3. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    Adam Clayton.

4. Jack Bruce, John Paul Jones...

hmm.. Tim Cummerford?... why not?!

I feel that they are all excellent players who are rarely very flashy.

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Michael Anthony
    Eddie Jackson
    The Dude that plays for Nsync
    The Dude that plays for Garth Brooks

sorry dont know the names on the last 2, should learn um though because there both pretty good.

6. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Jack Bruce and John Paul Jones are simple? Not in my book.

Aside from those already mentioned, I'd add Andy Fraser of Free.

7. GOX42

GOX42

Sep 28, 2000
    rising sun indiana
    Has every one forgotten John Deacon of QUEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! That man know what and when to play and has tone to die for but he varies from song to song ......now there's a BASS player

8. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Johnny Lee Middleton of Savatage.

9. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I haven´t forgetten him:)
    He´s great

10. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    One of my favorites in this category would have to be Sting. He had some great simple, in the pocket grooves on early Police albums.

11. I intended more that they aren't flashy I guess. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

12. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    He 's a great bassist.
    But, IMHO, his licks are simple to listen but not that simple to play and to create.

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    <font size=4> Rocco</font>

Will C.:cool:

14. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    The one I would add to that list is Aston "Family Man" Barrett. He's not overly complex but his sound is huge and he moves all those classic Bob Marley tunes.
    -Dan

15. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    John Paul Jones is basic? Damn, you must be pretty damn good. You must be on Jaco's level.

16. hey hey I didn't read the first post closely enough and I am deeply sorry :p

all I intended to say is that the players I mentioned hold the groove VERY well and do not play things for the sake of showing off their chops

regardless.. I don't know where you get off by saying that I must think I am better than JPJ

17. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    i totally forgot all about Johnny Lee, he's not overly basic, but not overly flashy. I love him on Streets of Rock Opera, and Gutter Ballet. And he's one helluva nice guy too. Met him in Tampa. Met Dr. Killdrums too, he works for a Music Store here. Guess his career wasnt too hot though...lol

18. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Keith Collins from the earlier Savatage albums was pretty decent too.

19. FunkmastaJ

FunkmastaJ

Feb 1, 2001
    Seattle WA
    He's very good, but he also knows how to play out too, you can hear it on the live stuff much more than on the records.

20. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    Tina Weymouth. The two note line to "Once In A Lifetime" is sooo appropriate.