Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassic Yet Overwhelmingly Powerful

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iriegnome, Feb 24, 2006.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I am looking for a Volume Knob and Power. All the EQ and everything else is just crap. I am would like to find something that gives me 1200+ watts and a preamp that gives me a volume knob. Nothing else. Does anyone think it is possible??? Any options?

2. You could just leave all of your EQ flat....

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
  4. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    You have several power amps to choose from, Crown, Crest, Labgruppen, QSC, and Stewart.
    A good pre-amp, simple to use is the Alembic F1-X.

5. Slink

Slink

Dec 27, 2005
    Carvin makes a amp called a B1500 that delivers 1900 watts a 2 Ohms. I never tried one but some guys on here did, run a search on it. It seems to me to be what your looking for.
    If you look on Schroeder's site under players I think you'll find Jorg playing one of these.
    This amp is rated with a ton of power and the EQ looks simple enough.

6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

terribly sorry...

7. Mesa's Big Block 1200 or something, their new one, has a pretty simple eq and 1200w I think. Also, you could get a good poweramp, like the QSC's, and the LowEnd True Voice preamp. Their new one only has a volume and bass boost. http://www.lowenddistribution.com/lowendpreamp.htm

8. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Pre: Bergantino line driver or truevoice pre or ampeg svtdi
    Power: Any crest/peavey/qsc/crown/stewart/mackie power amp

9. basseuphoria

basseuphoria

May 19, 2005
    spend 20.00 bucks and some shipping for a behringer BDI21. get yourself an 'ARC WELDING' able power amp and let the gain control on that power amp control your volume. i've been doin this for the last 6 months and it gives a true tone to my bass especially when the BDI21 is in the 'UNPROCESSED' mode. if you like the sound of your bass 'straight wire' through, then you might like this set up. i was blown away when i accidentally stumbled onto this.

10. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I think my GK 800RB is loud! lol I hit the low E string with the amp cranked and it made 2 car alarms across the street go off! LOL I'd hate to feel the power of a 1200 watt :(

OT: what is the most powerful bass amp in the world?

11. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Good for you. There ought to be more options like this.
    Just a plain preamp is hard to find. But If you google: fet preamp
    You can get lots of hits and putting together. Or any op-amp cookbook will have a few circuits.

Do like Lee Sklar and hit the bypass switch:
    http://www.mikevisceglia.com/jan2003.html

Setting EQ flat doesn't work because amps with built in preamps eq the sound even at flat.

12. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Maybe a simple but good mic pre might get the job done, then any power amp you desire.

13. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Wouldn't that be Mic level though. I think that for most basses, you need Line Level.

14. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Lovely idea, but Behringer is the sworn enemy. I have been playing now for 26 years and I want pro level gear. I am in no way upset that it is working great for you, but I just couldn't:rolleyes:

15. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    I suggest an Avalon U5 DI, into a quality power amp (such as a QSC PLX or a Chevin Research A series) into a relatively uncolored speaker cabinet (such as an EA VL series, Acme or AccuGroove).

16. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    I second the TrueVoice. Simple as can be and sounds incredible.

17. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I was looking for the same thing, so I designed my own!

http://seanm.ca/stomp/preamp.html

Very clean 20dB gain. 20V p-p output with no clipping. Very easy to build with easy to find parts.

18. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Or, I also use an ART Tube MP. It is a tube mic preamp, but works great with bass. Very inexpensive. It is much darker than my preamp but still very clean.

I prefer to use the ART with a P bass strung with LaBella 760FL flats since they can get a bit twangy and the ART mellows them out a bit. I use my design with a P bass strung with tapewounds. I am actually using the tapewounds more and more as I get used to them.