Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BASSICALLY BASS (hehehehehehehehehe)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LimpyBizkit397, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Yes, I love music and it's what I wanted to do.

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. No, My mumsy made me take English Liturature to make me smart.

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. I work at McDonald's. Would you like fries with that?

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. What's college and what's music? Please help me find my pants also.

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. I was just wondering if any of you went to music college. I was thinking about going to Berklee, but because of the famous Berklee Burnouts,I really don't know. Does anyone know any good music schools? Thanks a ton!
    Laura

2. lazybassass

lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    Mass
    right now theres as bunch of threads going around on here about this so in sure u can find answers.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    i think school is a waste. well, most musi schools. Heck, you have to be as good as you want to be to even get in some of these stupid "jazz only , hard stuff is music" Schools. Thats not music.

4. Yeah, I know, those ed-yoo-ma-kated folks is jus' wastin' their time. :rolleyes:

5. b0nes83

b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    hey laura....im going to school for music at SCC...Berklee does have alot of burnouts because most of the people that go there think they are great and dont practice enough and/or not listen to thier private instructor....in what area do you live? peace
    Chad

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    ha ha,,,, ha ha ha....what a zinger.:rolleyes:

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, about the same intelligence level as the post it was in response to.:p

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I'm sorry, Jazz is the only music there is, and learning what other peopel think is the best way to play the bass is better than your way. i like schools that will guide you, and help you polish, but not ones that tell you what to play, do, and what music is good and whats not.

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    i agree anyway. most of the time u dont really get from scools want u want anyway cuz a lot of peopel r either theyre 2 soshulize or 2 try n act all cool and stuph an d thats not y u should go. if peeple wanted 2 get more from there schools than it wood be okay but alot o fpeoople dont really try like that. you get those people who only want 2 listen 2 jazz and thats cool cuz i like jazz (hey im jazzbo rite?! ;)) but i think that u can go 2 learn anything like punk if thats your thing or ska or emo or stuff and that some teecher shouldnt tell u thatsnot okay. its like real skool 2 cuz my high skool was a waste of time cuz i couldve learned that stuff working in the real world at jamba juice or at the mall or stuff cuz when in life do u use triganametree or civics or stuff.

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    And exactly how many of these music schools have you spent any significant amount of time in? :rolleyes: I think the study of advanced aerodynamic theory is a waste too, but that's only because I'm a musician.

....who lives out my life hoping like hell that the people who design and build the planes I fly in don't feel the same as I do about advanced aerodynamic theory.

11. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    invade my mind, will you? :D

12. I hope that was a typo, and you really meant "Jazz is NOT the only music there is" or I somehow missed the sarcasm. If I did miss the sarcasm or it was a typo, then you are forgiven, if not, you need to get out more. :rolleyes:

13. Sarcasm noted, but nobody has suggested this in this thread.

If your experience with music schools and/or private instruction has been bad in this regard, I'm sorry to hear that. Decent instructors do better than that, and are very helpful in improving one's playing.

14. You can just feel the effort that went into all those spelling mistakes. ;)

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    LMAO!

How true. It really took A LOT of effort.

16. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Translating it took a lot of effort, too! :p

17. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    My college doesn't even have a music program. :( We have a "guitar club", but that sucks really bad, and we have a choir, but that's only because it's a Catholic school, and they sing at the services. :(

18. Not to mention that. :D