Bassics and Bass Frontiers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bass Boy, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Does anyone know if Bassics or Bass Frontiers are still putting out magazines? Bassics used to be pretty regular but its been a while since a new magazine has come out. Bass Frontiers has always been irregular but Jim Hyatt was saying that he wanted to go bimonthly. Since he told me that, they have been even more irregular! Does anyone here subscribe to these magazines, and if so has anyone heard anything?
  2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I haven't seen them in a while. I used to buy bass frontier. But I don't see it anymore. And I can find bassics at archambault sometimes.
  3. Yvon, I used to buy Bass Frontiers in Toronto at Tower Records (RIP) when I would go back to sub on show gigs. They would keep the old issues in stock and I could pick up a few issues at a time. BF hasn't even put out an issue since last year. Their web site is still the same as well. You can buy Bassics at the Maison International de la Presse across from the Eaton Centre on St Catherine.( For those of you in Montreal!)
  4. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I was subscribed to both of these Rags since last year, I had a two year sub and I haven't seen a mag in 6 months:mad: I have emailed, called, did everything with no answer.
    I think both mags are inconsistant and I wouldn't waste my money! :( I already did! Learn from my mistake..I think they are done.
  5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I just got the new Bassics (with CD) a week ago.
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I subscribed to Bass Frontiers and feel that Jim Hyatt really did a disservice to bass players. I remember reading his letters saying how busy he was playing all these great gigs. It was pretty clear to me that the magazine was not his priority - and I feel those letters made him look like a self absorbed, uhh... bass player. I never understood why he/they wouldn't just find another editor and hire people that really wanted to run a magazine.

I'd get an issue every now and then when I did subscribe - the good news was they sent me issues long after my subsciption ended.

I haven't seen it on the newstands in about a year.
  7. Go figure, as soon as I post something the new issue of BASSICS (finally) makes it to the newstand here in Montreal. Now if only BF would.
  8. I still get Bassics but haven't seen a Bass Frontiers issue in a while. Wonder if I'll get my $ back....
  9. Same here.:meh:

10. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Those of you who read Bass Frontiers regularly might know that I was a columnist and editor. Bass Frontiers was really the vision of one man, Jim Hyatt. Jim is a nice guy, means well, but really didn't have the capital or expertise to run a magazine all by himself. Add to the fact that many of the advertisers would take months and months to pay their bills - Jim just kept getting further and further behind. Jim was also having some personal issues, someone close to him was carjacked and murdered. About 2 years ago, soon after the Chuck Rainey issue, Jim just disappeared along with the magazine. Many of us who knew him for years, including Rob Elrick, Steve Barr, Dino Monoxelos, etc had no idea what happened to him. We actually feared for the worst. Ron Garant from Bassics tried to contact him to give Bass Frontiers subscribers issues of Bassics instead, but no one could find Jim.

At last summer's NAMM show Keith Horne assured me that Jim was OK. They had recently gone riding motorcycles together.

I know Bass Frontiers was not the most reliable magazine. It astounds me that he got it as big as he did on the shoestring budget that he had. But what it really was - a magazine written and read by players. A magazine that didn't suck up to the pop band of the moment, a magazine with integrity.

For example, the night I interviewed Chuck Rainey for the cover story, the PR guy from the band "moe" was badgering me about doing a cover on his bass player. There was not a chance he was going to get a cover. Not because he was not a good player or a popular player but because he didn't earn it.

Personally, I am sorry that BF is gone. The good work of the writers, editors and contributors (most of whom were not paid) is a testament to the bass playing community. I am sorry if anybody got stuck with paying for a mag that never came, I am more sorry that you missed something special

11. Thanks for the update Mike. BF really was one of the best out there. Maybe if I win the lottery we can get it started again! Thank God Ron stills has Bassics out there.
  12. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I echo Mike's sentiments regarding Bass Frontiers and wish Jim Hyatt the best. My time on the editorial staff was a wonderful period that I miss greatly.
  13. Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    I hope Bassics Magazine is still up and running. I have a two year subscription and it's been almost 5 months since I received a copy - the one with Chris Squire on the front. I received this edition here in Australia in mid May. I also noticed that this is still the current edition on their web site.

This is a really great magazine, in particular the CD which really increased my awareness of the many great bass players around. I hope we haven't seen the end of it. :crying:
  14. Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Where can I find a Bassics magazine, or the place to subscribe? Is the mag defunct?
  15. Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    You can get the details for subscribing off their Website (just do a search on bassics magazine) - but I'd hold off if I was you as I haven't seen a copy for 5 months and I paid for a 2 year subscription. The current edition shown on the website also hasn't changed for 9 months (Chris Squire on the cover).

I hope their just on vacation or something. Anyway, it would be nice for them to post smoething on their website as to when the next edition is due out - that way it would stop all this guessing.
  16. Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Sorry, I meant to say thet the edition on the website also hasn't changed for 5 months (not 9). :bag: