Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassics Interview

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by TaySte_2000, Oct 3, 2005.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Just want to say to both of you I really enjoyed the Bassics interview recently.

Much better than the usual gear questions most mags ask you.

Steve I have found that looping vid quite useful, was that totally improv? I've also just cut my pedal board down taking about 8 pedals off it so I can do the solo bass thing more effectively with it.

Can either of you recommend either 2 passive DI boxes or 1 stereo DI box I'm going for a much more natural approach instead of eqing everything and my board now runs in stereo.

Cheers

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Thanks Steve, really glad you enjoyed it - it was a lot of fun to do, and the questions were really interesting. Ron did a great job.

The funk thing on the video was improvised yes, though I've obviously played lots and lots of that kind of two chord funk vamp. It's along the same lines as Uncle Bernie from 'For The Love Of Open Spaces'.

stereo DI? hmm, can't think of anything off the top of my head that's going to be small enough. Do ART do a stereo version of their TubeMP? That's a really nice sounding little tube DI for not much money. Might be worth looking at a couple of those...

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
  4. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Steve

i'm not sure that a Passive DI is what you're after, given that it won't bump the level up at all, so you might as well run out of whatever your last pedal is. All that will do is balance the signal, in order to send it noise-free over long distances... I'd be more inclined to go with the mini-preamp approach to active DIs, rather than just a passive one (which is a useful thing to own, but probably not what's needed for your requirements...

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Ah ok I'll look into it.

So when are you making a full length dvd???? :eyebrow:

6. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    The idea has been mooted with a DVD company, recently, so we'll see what happens. I'd do it in front of a live audience, and field questions as well as doing a presentational part, and playing some tunes, telling some stories, and hopefully managing to make it educational and entertaining. :)

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

7. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Steve; I really enjoyed seeing your looping etchnique in action on the video.

Is there a transcription of that Em7 tune you play ?

8. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Sadly not, it's just an improv around an Dm7 chord - watch my fingers and try to work it out. :D

really glad you're enjoying it. I'll upload the other half of the video soon...

steve
    www.stevelawson.net
    www.recyclecollective.com