Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bassiest pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gord, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    Hey guys,
    I'm just looking through pickups and wondering which style of pickup goes the deepest? I'm thinking soapbar does, but what are your thoughts? I think it's between soapbar and precision-style

2. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    The passive pickup in the Knuckle bass is the sickest I've ever heard. It's wound so the windings go over the top of the pickup instead of around the sides. I don't remember who actually makes it, check their site. I played Whappo Grande's at Bass Quake and it had insane tone.

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Which soapbar, ie what actual pickup configuration inside it? Which P? Other important questions are, where is it placed on the instrument and what scale length? All of these will affect the perceived 'bassiness' of the tone in any given instrument.

4. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Those are Q tuner or something like that, yes it's Q tuner that has the coils facing the strings. Very interesting stuff, I've only seen those on Knuckle basses so far.

5. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I'm thinking Gibson EB-0 pickups have bass overload...?

6. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Yeah, I think that's it. Those are totally insane. They are hotter than most active pickups with an active pre. I was totally blown away.

7. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Definately the Dimarzio "Woofer" pickup. I believe the proper name is Will Power Neck Model.
    VERY bassy and full.
    Knuckle basses probably don't get all their bass from the pickups. It's because of the 39" scale bass. The longer the scale the bassier the sound is perceived.

8. Also the Contrabass tuning helps as well.