Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BassIQ and Bassballs

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by KB, Jun 6, 2002.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I am thinking of getting rid of my EBS BassIQ because it just isn't funky/greasy swelly enough for me (I just can't really get the sound I like). I find I like my regular Wah sound better. I am considering getting a USA Bassballs instead so I can get a little more funky and vowel-like. I have never owned a Bassballs so I don't know how the sound quality would compare (yes I've listened to the "pro" samples at EHX.com), but I am curious about people who have used both and what their thoughts were. I don't want anything very large and I don't really want anyting with too many knobs (like the Qtron) and I want to stay fairly cheap in price (no vintage Mu-tron). Let me know your thoughts

-KB

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Well, if you want you can hear my Russian made Bassballs by clicking the link in my sig. to either the TB station or my bands homepage and playing the song Kerosene. After the intro the bassballs kicks in big time.

3. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I just bought one today, and I like it. It probably does what you want it to.

4. You're getting rid of your Bass IQ for a BassBalls? Woah...that's not exactly a giant leap forward y'know. I own about six filters, including a Bass IQ, I sure wouldn't call that decision an upgrade. If you want greasy funk, get an original Mutron III; they are going for cheaper than I've ever seen these days. Hang on to your BassIQ, it can do things no other filter can; that "attack" knob is really worth the price alone. Squeaky clean for sure, but consider buying yourself another sleazier sounding one and you will find them to compliment each other well. A BassBalls is more of a toy...

5. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    I've had both. They're pretty different sounding pedals, but I way prefer the BassIQ - especially if you can couple it with a good distortion pedal. I think the EH bassballs pedal has nice distortion but robs the sound of my bass too much, even when it's not on. The EBS has much better bypass. My suggestion would be to just get a good distortion pedal (which I have yet to try) and use both together.

6. The biggest perk about the BassIQ is that "attack" knob. Try putting a fuzz before your filter and it will trigger wildly, place one before your BassIQ and set it for a slow attack.....very cool; that kind of control you don't normally get.