bassist and drummer practice

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by pete_the_beat, Sep 27, 2004.

1. I was just wondering if anybody knew any lessons a bassist and drummer could do together for practice.

2. Have you guys seen the JOHN PATTITUCCI video the first edition it has dave weckyl and john pattitucci playing just as a rhythm section ( Theres a transcription book avaliable on Johns Lines too ) But its better if you learn off the video I dont actually know the title of the video cause I dubbed it on a blank perhaps someone might know anyway theres some great grooves escp. the jerry jermont lick on Memphis soul blues and how the drums gel with the lick
    I recommend getting the video its a great watch
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The Patitucci video(maybe his FIRST?) is a good idea...he & Weckl go through an 'encylopedia' of grooves.

There is also Lincoln Goines/Robbie Ammeen's book/cds Funkifying The Clave For Bass & Drums. Excellent stuff for a bassist & drummer to work through.

Also, there is a James Brown rhythm section book/cds...bass & drum parts are transcribed.

Anther thing to work on & maybe think about-
    1)Play your favourite groove in 4/4...have the drummer do his thing. At this point, both of you are playing together(maybe even try to lock to his kick).
    2)Now, if possible, attempt to play your favourite groove in 4/4 an 1/8th note 'late' while the drummer stays in his original groove.
    The drummer counts off 1-2-3-4...he begins playing his thing on the "1" while YOU begin playing your thing on the "& of 1". This will test both of you guys!
    3)Reverse the above...YOU play on "1", he begins on the "& of 1".

Another thing is to practice "feels".
    Play a simple 12-bar Blues progression together.
    Swing it.
    Funk it.
    Reggae-fy it.
    Latin-ize it.
    Odd Time it.
    Ska it.