Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassist are weird!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Remington, Nov 22, 2001.

1. Remington

Remington

Nov 19, 2001
    USA, Michigan
    I think when it come down to it. Bassist are always the werid or goofy one in the band.
    dont take this the wrong way, Iam a bassist and the weridest one in my band..
    what do u ppl think??

2. i think you need to slow down a little bit when typing...j/k.

the stereotypical bassist is the tall, lanky, skrawny, ugly, wierd looking dude that sits way in the back of the stage and you can't hear what he's playing (usually in punk but not always). but then you got another steriotype of the HUGE, fat, squaty guy (this one is usually thought of to be more funky)

but who wants to guy by stereotypes in the first place?

when you have guys like flea and guys like entwistle you just have too much in contrast to generalize.

3. I really dont fit into the stereotypes, then! I am, tall,lanky, GOOD looking(thats what eveyone tells me!), I jump around an incredible amount, and I am thought to be a funky bassist.

You obviously cant generalize, so does that mean I fit into the same categories as Entwistle and (dare i say it) Flea? :D :D :D;)

4. you can't generalize about anything really. unless you're talking about a massed produce product of perfect quality control. like mcdonald's. no matter where you go if you eat at a mcdonald's it's going to taste like every other mcdonalds you've ever been to. i have no idea what this has to do with the thread but i added it any ways.

5. another bassist stereotype is the one of we all suck so bad at making music, we play a wuss crap instrument, and the guitar player has the hardest job of the band, and bass is easy, etc, etc, etc...

6. Then I'm funky as all hell!!!!!! 'cept I'm tall...damn...so does that mean I'm half funky and half punk?...PUNKY!!!

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Phunky? ;)

8. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    Just like stereo typeing drummers. Our drummer in our band can actually spell his name right :D

9. i think the generalizations i made can be combined with eachother and still be a generalization of a bass player.

10. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    5stringfreak,why do u say that "im good looking,well people say i am".why do people try to mention that there good looking everywhere they go, i dont get it.

11. LiL BaSS DuDe

LiL BaSS DuDe Guest

May 15, 2001
    Scotland,
    I feeel more like a drummer.. or even a little bit of everything.

I suck at writing my own bass lines. (Mark Hoppus)
    I'm crazy EVERYWHERE. (drummer instincts)
    I'm not short but not tall. (F#@K knows lol)
    Chubby, but ok looking and everyone wants me!(guitarist)

I basically love being me.

12. Im 15 years old.
    Im 6 foot tall.
    Im 9 stone (about 65 Kg).
    The 2 above make me scrawney.
    Im the ugly boy in the band, but apparently Im still really 'fit' in a non-athletic way.
    I'm definatly weird looking, cross between a marine and a computer geek.
    I dont stand at the back of the stage, I stand at the front so everyone can see and praise me. (the girls also love to see how fast my hands can move ;))
    Yeah, you cant hear me though.

13. SONICATTACK

SONICATTACK

Sep 26, 2001
    in the sun
    I'm 5'6" (dwarfed by my Carvin 5 string)
    20 years old
    130 lbs
    I stand in the back (getting blasted by the snare)
    Everyone hears me (cause i'm also the sound tech ;)
    Girls scream: "Take your shirt off" (still can't figure that one out)
    I play everything Funk/rock/etc. But absolutly no punk, o.k we have one punk song in our set. Boy am I glad about that.

Guess I don't fit the profile for the average bassist:D

14. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Everybody thinks I´m weird. Everybody in my school knows who I am (but not because I play bass). I´m not good looking and I´m pretty smart..

15. I guess I'm a stereotypical bassplayer...

I'm tall (185 cm.)
    I'm chubby
    I'm lazy
    I don't get girls
    I'm definitely weird!
    I'm smart, although my weirdness and lazyness make that hard to see.
    and I'm a bit of a toolman (the stereotypical bassist is the one who brings the duct tape, extra cords, extra batteries, screw-drivers, etc...)

and I love it!! :D

16. ALL generalizations are innaccurate. :D

17. well, i halfassed fit the stereotype...

(im gonna put this in metric, it'll be fun :D)

height - 173 cm
    weight - 61 kg
    im a sick pervert, wierd ass, have been called the Devil by church goers, scrawny as hell with REALLY long fingers that make my 6 string look skinny, people who dont know me think im a freak, my slap solo scares people because my fingers go at unhuman rates(to them, anyway. i think they to slow...), im lazy enough to rather get a 50 in chemistry instead of actually do the work and get an 80, lots of people hate me because im such a prick, and i could go on like this for hours on end. i have the greatest and the worst life at the same time... LONG LIVE PESSIMISM!!!

18. on a COMPLETELY different topic

ONE POST AFTER THIS EQUALS 200!!!!! YAY!

19. Chill out man! I'm just being stupid. Cant you tell?:rolleyes:

20. What does it mean when the Bass player drools out both sides of his mouth?

The stage is level.