Bassist are weird!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Remington, Nov 22, 2001.

1. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    I'm somewhere between 5'9" and 5'10" and weigh over 160 lbs (Last time I was weighed was at the end of summer, and I never lose weight, only gain it, but strangely I'm not fat)
    I have really long hair, which covers most of my face. I wear glasses too.
    I've been told once before that I look like Joey Ramone (don't really know what he looked like...) and once someone said I looked like the lead singer of Incubus (well... kinda...)
    I never get girls (Never had a real girlfriend, just girls I hang out with), I'm sure I could if I tried, but I'm nervous around the opposite sex. Whenever I'm near any girl I like I'll stare off into space (even though I do that all the time anyway... :p)
    Most people think I'm a pothead (I'm just friends with all of em :p)
    I'm kinda funky (I groove pretty good and I get into it and start moving around a lot without knowing it) and kinda punk (additude-wise)
    I'm extremely smart... most of the time... I'm just really really really damn lazy, never do my schoolwork... I also have a very bad memory and a tendancy to say stupid things, which are some of the reasons people think I'm a pothead.
    I'm usually very calm and just sit there, but when I'm angry or bored I become hyperactive as hell.
    I look weak, but when I'm angry I'll beat your sorry butt to a bloody pulp. Because of this most of the guys in my school are afraid of me and won't dare piss me off :eek: :) :D
    I guess this means I'm not really the stereotypical bassist...

2. LiL BaSS DuDe

LiL BaSS DuDe Guest

May 15, 2001
    Scotland,
    lol, The joke is; How can you tell when the stage is level? The drummer is drooling from both sides of his mouth. :)

3. I am about 6'2, 150 pounds but i can never put on weight. However i'm not scrawney (must have light bones or something)! I've got short dark dark brown hair. My sideburns seem to impress the ladies. :D And I always seem to have my ass grabbed. lol Haven't played a gig yet cos we've only just formed a band, but my guitarist is ok with the bass being heard! So thats cool, got our first gig next week i think though, so that'll be fun. I dunno if i'm stereotypical. :confused:

4. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Too me the bassist is the one without stereotypes....I don't hear that many...usuall I hear about stereotypical egotistical guitarist, talentless sings, and stupid drummers that work at Pizza Hut....but usually no bassist stereotypes...bass is just wielded by too great of a variety of people to stereotype....

5. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    OK,
    I'm 44 yrs. old, 5'7" by 145 lbs.
    I'm the only white guy in the R & B band I play in.
    At work I'm a Mfg. Eng. that purchases, programs and trouble shoots $500,000.00 to $2,500,000.00
    CNC machine tools.
    I know my way around a sound board and effects units.
    I can "FIX" just about any problem at a gig.
    I even repaired a AC unit once.
    Am I playing the wrong instrument?

I DON'T THINK SO.

6. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    wanna play too - I'm six foot six inches - 190 lbs (that'd be the tall skinny variety) Always been the naturally shy type - never much of a ladies man (never thought of that as a bass stereotype till this thread though) & when I start gigging, I'm sure I'll hanging at the back of the stage - I'm usually the crazy one in any group, unless there is drummers around - and I smoke a ton of weed.....so I'm not your stereotypical bassist am I :rolleyes:

7. dammit i forgot to mention the weed thing.

8. Okay, i'm gonna not get into this stereotype thing and just answer the bloody question. Damn straight I'm wierd! I've got long hair, wear a trenchcoat, a rasta hat, all-star sneakers and sometimes women's apparel. i also move around the most on stage. do i think most, if not all bassists are wierd? Of course! Who else would turn a simple question into something that could be taken for fascism? (Not that anyone has taken it that far- i think)

9. oh yeah, like every bassist, i'm gonna die or leave my band halfway thru my band's music career, and it'll be related to drugs.

10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    But can he spell any of the other members' names? :D

11. SONICATTACK

SONICATTACK

Sep 26, 2001
    in the sun
    Dang that's me all the way what's up with that! (exept for the pot head thing)

Are you anal too cause I'm one of those people who can pick apart anything, especially recordings. It makes my band mates nuts, but that's why I'm a Mechanical Engineer.

Nope - up here it's Burger King

12. RHCFlea

RHCFlea

Jun 16, 2001
    Washington DC
    bassist is always the coolest guy in the band. Seriously. Except the hendrix experience, cuz it was jimmy, and korn, cuz they all suck :D

13. hmm, what aobut the one about bassists being good with theyre fingers?;) :eek: ;) :eek:

14. No matter how weird we are, we are the ones who hold the Band together musically, so let the other f***ers get on with their posing, strutting, womanising ego-tripping ways. Come the Day of Judgement, we'll still be laying the beat down, no matter how much God takes the p***. (see earlier story).

15. Aaron

Aaron Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I don't things to confuse people. Today i said, "You can't have fun without graduated cylinders!!!" and "HCl still tastes funny from last week."

16. I'm 6'2 185-190 lbs (I was 140-150 before I started working out, and just as tall :eek: ).
    I guess I'm weird...I'm just severely emotionally scarred so I express that in a really weird way sometimes.
    Despite what they all say I'll always think I'm ugly and funny looking...
    I'm a lot smarter than most people though, and the most musically talented member of the band.
    So you can understand why my plan is to become a famous musician, make millions and get LOTS of plastic surgery. Long live pessimism indeed!

17. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Well, i'm about 5'10", about 260lbs (but i don't look that heavy), i'm rather lazy, i say really dumb ****..."i'd rather do anything than homework...like melt my brain with a q-tip", i like to jump around, i like to yell, i like to scream, i have a punk style, long hair (not quite shoulder length yet), have glasses, pretty smart, and i also have the power to solve situations and end many situations, also my bass amp works part of the time as a mic PA.

18. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    well....
    I'm 6'3" 250lbs - not fat, built.....well, mostly :)
    I'm by far one of the laziest kids i know, and yet I'm 13th in my class of over 420 :eek:
    I'm don't smoke (weed), I just like the way it smells :cool:
    I most ceratinly dont get any chicks and yet they all tell me im cute :rolleyes: (i'm still trying to figure that one out...)
    Oh yeah, and I rock out hardcore style!
    Stereotypes? hah!:D

19. I'm 6'1" 235-40lbs and I love to rock out everywhere on stage...assuming the multiple 80's poses: BacktoBack w/ Guitarist(s), foot on the monitor, etc...and if anyone has any other good poses, please disseminate!

20. I gotta join in this one.

I am 6'2" and weigh 195. I'm in good shape. I can be a freak, a geek, a bad ass, what ever.
    I am usually the most intelligent person in the band, not that I am a know it all, but they just don't know anything. I have a shaved head, and I'm clean shaven and wear glasses, so I look like a clean cut nice boy. On stage, I always wear steel toed combat boots, a wife beater, or no shirt at all, (even though I have no tan) to show off my tattoos. I don't wear glasses when I play, though.
    I go nuts onstage, especially when I get into my groove, headbanging, bouncing around, scaring the kids in the front row. I have been told I make some psycho faces on stage. I get a better crowd reaction than anyone else in the band, which is always cool. But before and after the gig, I'm calm cool and collected.
    Am I the steroetypical bass player?