Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassist as scratch master

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jive1, Jan 6, 2005.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Sometimes, while the rest of the band is setting up, I'll groove along with whatever is playing on the stereo. On new years eve, an old school Run-DMC tune was playing on the house system. So for fun, I turned on the compressor, cranked up the highs and started "scratching" on the bass. All I did was rub my fingers back-and-forth against the strings. But, it made a convincing "scratching" sound like a DJ spinning wax. I had a lot of fun with it and really getting into it. I looked up and noticed people in the audience were watching me, and when the song was over a couple of people were applauding.

I don't know if others have done this, but it was cool to find a new sound for my palette that the audience could get a kick out of.

2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, i've done that quite a bit just jamming around. Sounds pretty good too :D.

3. I do it in Church- kinda worn it out, really. Our set is pretty contemporary- the Worship Pastor(bandleader)'s 13 yr. old daughter raps, & we've actually had The Grits do a concert. The 1st time I heard it done was on the Red Hot Chili Peppers 1st album- about 85 or 86.

4. I run my thumbnail along the E string to add a dark creepy sound like a creaky door hinge to the intro to "Bring Me to Life" by Evanessence.

5. beer bottles and mic stands are my favorite. explains why my strings die so quick too.... :meh:

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If you're talking about the rap duo from Tennessee it's not "The Grits" it's just "Grits"

brad cook

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    BTW, You'll never compete with the Vulcan scratchmaster:

[​IMG]

brad cook

8. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    There's a noise artist out of Providence who goes by Work/Death. He's pretty tight.

He plays bass, through a myriad of digital effects pedals, a bass rig and a guitar rig. He can recreate turntable scratches, chainsaws, 18 wheel big-rigs and then top it all off with a metal guitar-esque solo.

He's loud too.

9. I figured putting a link would have been better than putting that big picture in.Tom Morello

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Been there, done that! We did a lot of soundscape stuff earlier this year. Try it with a credit card (or a less valuable, but similar thing), overactive distortion, and a wah pedal.

Sweetness.

11. Yeah Ive done this as well . I run through a whammy pedal and get some squirley scratch action happening .

12. Rap duo, yes- Tennessee, could be. Their DJ was named 'Coffee'. Beyond that, well, I don't get out much anymore...

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Coffee is actually one of the rappers. I don't know what the DJs name is. They're good stuff...really talented they've been around a long time.

brad cook

14. Yeah, I saw Victor Wooten take a whole scratch solo at a Flecktones concert in San Francisco a few months ago. It was really cool. All he did was mute the strings with his fretting hand, and then rub his right hand on the strings, producing that DJ sound. When I first heard that I did a double-take. I thought it was Futch. :)

15. ...the one thing I'm sure of is that a young man who introduced himself as Coffee was later spinning at the turntable. I didn't watch the whole show, but he did at least 5 tunes. And they were good.

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That may be before they traveled with a dedicated DJ or something. When I saw them Coffee and Bone were up front rapping and they had a white guy DJing in the back.

brad cook

17. I think it was Nov. 26, certainly last year (04).

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh ok...maybe it wasn't before or after...I guess they just sometimes travel without an independent DJ. That would certainly be the most economically viable if you can rap while you spin. Was there anyone else besides coffee or bone?

brad cook

19. There were 3 guys, but the only name I caught was Coffee.