Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassist Attire

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Digo, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Digo

Digo

Mar 14, 2006
    Edinurgh, Scotland
    Hi guys, i have been playing the bass guitar for only about 6 months now, but im in a band and i can play pretty well for my time of practice. This may sound like a strange question to ask other people but can anyone think of a good attire (appearance) for me when i go on stage, eg a specific colour of hat and type of hat and clothing blah blah

here is a pic of me to try and help you because i am bedazzled of what to wear.

PS - Sorry bout the face, it was an unexpected picture

ADDITIONAL UN-USEFUL INFO - Im 6ft 3 and 16 years of age lol!!!

[​IMG]

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Unless it's a formal gig, I wear what I please, which is usually a hockey/soccer jersey or loose t shirt, baggy jeans, and sneakers. Hey, I go for comfort! Also, if you're one of those guys who likes to been seen and remembered, DO NOT wear dark colors on stage, especially if you're filming. All you'll see is the hardware from the bass. If you want the chicks to remember you from the stage, wear something unique and bright, but cool. Eh, I've been performing for about 20 years, so I know the little tricks. ;)

3. Digo

Digo

Mar 14, 2006
    Edinurgh, Scotland
    well i hate dressing formal to tell the truth, i wanna look so different from my formal band members that i stick out. I need something weird, like a stu hamm attire or stevie ray vaughan

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Lets see...say, if your band is like something heavy like metal or something, go on stage with Hawaiin shirts or something. Something bright and colorful, and is like "BAM! i'm here."

Or wear whats comfortable and you can stay in without getting too hot and sweating too much - thats just meh. That is, unless you're doin a lot of movement and stuff and regardless of what you wear you're guranteed to sweat and stuff a lot...iduno what i'm talking about anymore.

5. Digo

Digo

Mar 14, 2006
    Edinurgh, Scotland
    nah were not heavy metal, we are on a mission to bring 80's music back into play, like pink floyd **** too, ps - i wouldent suit a haiwian shirt would i? :p

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    My current favorite gig look is jeans, a Beatles t shirt (I have lots of those!), a casual blazer, and Chuck Taylors.

7. Get a girl to help you out. Girlfriend, sister, some girl who is into have fun and is into guys. Tell her to make you her 'project' and to do the whole 'bass player make-over' thing.

Or a guy... I don't mean to be all gender stereotypical. Hell there are plenty of dudes out there who know how to put on a look.

But certainly don't ask me! I don't have a clue. I wear a collared, button-down oxford, untucked - or a solid color tee with a pair of boot-cut levis and some funky Skechers. I let my face (expressions, eye contact) and anything anyone tossed up on stage complete the ensamble... :)

Oh yeah... there's always the 'going bowling look' or the 'garage mechanic look' - just avoid the 'day of golf' look at all costs!

8. The first thing that came to mind was a Hawian Shirt so +1 on that idea. Since Magnum PI was huge in the 80's you could were a blue Hiwian shirt with white palm trees just like Magnum.
    Another suggestion pick a sports team from your area and find out who the biggest rival is and were their jersey. Back home the Montreal Canadiens are huge so once or twice a year a were a Boston Bruins Jersey. Have had many a good conversations between sets.

9. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    Dress like this:
    [​IMG]

10. Digo

Digo

Mar 14, 2006
    Edinurgh, Scotland
    i cant do the jersey one, im in scotland, if i was to wear a team shirt it would be the falcons, i will try the hawain shirt tho, k, trousers now.....

11. Blue Levis and Converse Chuck Taylors

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

13. flatwounds

flatwounds

Apr 22, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    I think you could pull off a Joey Ramone look.
    Jeans.
    Old school converse shoes or boots.
    T-shirt.
    Leather Jacket.
    Sunglasses.

HEY HO! LET'S GO!

You will be the coolest person on stage.

14. Digo

Digo

Mar 14, 2006
    Edinurgh, Scotland
    as said earlier, black blends u in to the ack

15. Digo

Digo

Mar 14, 2006
    Edinurgh, Scotland
    me in leather and sunglasses, im the boy who was picked on through school i dont think so lol

16. flatwounds

flatwounds

Apr 22, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    C'mon. You know you want to unleash Digo Ramone out into the world.

17. Try to envision an image for yourself - that's part of your band's image. If you do it well, you will add a positive effect to your band's performance. The key is to be natural, and DO NOT listen to your mom about what looks nice! :) And do not try to copy someone else's look or fit into a genre style.

Jeans are good, but try to wear a colorful shirt (people might want to take pictures). Here is an idea - wear the jeans, a solid-colored collared cotton oxford shirt (probably a button-down, but not too much of a dress shirt - something you would wear with khaki pants - either light blue or even white will work with the color of your bass) and then a cowboy hat. Wearing a cowboy hat playing hard rock creates a cool different image without going overboard.

And ditch the Fender strap - there are lots and lots of cool straps out there, so get something interesting.

18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Whatever you do, please don't wear a Hawaiian shirt, khaki shorts, white crew socks, and tennis shoes. NOTHING screams DORK like that combination.

19. Digo

Digo

Mar 14, 2006
    Edinurgh, Scotland
    canopener where is that image taken from or do you own the shirt?