Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bassist available

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    After putting up with a lot of crap for 2 years - I got pushed over the edge yesterday. The leader of my cover band expects us all to revolve our lives entirely around his decisions. Last night, the new drummer we're working in couldn't make rehearsal, and I was told we're going to have to double up next week. I can't, and he wanted me to cancel a Nerve rehearsal, because of course the cover band is so much more important. I told him I wouldn't do it and he started threatening that he would replace me. I told him he was pissing me off, that we should talk later, but he persisted. "Joe, if you don't want to do this, I'll replace you right now" were I think his last words.

I needed the money I was taking in with this band desperately, but I'm having faith that better things lie ahead. I want to move forward and I'm sure, as unsure as I feel right now, that this was the right thing to do. These guys are from a different planet than me and I never felt quite right being a part of them. They drink, fight, act like the Brooklyn guys I spent my entire life working not to be.

This feels remarkably similar to breaking up with a woman.

Anyone know any good bass playing jobs?????? I can play. Really I can. Ask Nino.

2. Kraken

Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    That Sucks!!

There are better things out there, I hope.

I've got three bands Hawking my services at the moment!!! as I'm moving south in two weeks time should be good fun!

There will always be something better

!-)

Krakkers

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    The drummer couldnt make a rehearsal so you were given a date you couldnt make yet you had to cancel yet the drummer didnt. Sounds like...

a) he's a fool
    b) he doesn't like you
    c) he's having an affair with the drummer

Assuming my half@$$ed attempt at humour cheered you up, here's my advice.

If you are in a situation where you need overtime/moonlightling/band money for everyday expense (and those of us with kids have been there) get out of it as soon as you can.

In the meantime why not form a covers band? Why not ask the other Nerves if they want to do covers under a different name? See whose in and fill the gaps. Go for a trio less hassle and more cash.

4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    http://www.themode.com/a212.html

http://www.themode.com/a718.html

Good luck Joe!!!
    Commit to the Nerve. All else is extra. I have a similar situation. Cover bands are not supposed to be a hassle.

I was given a shot at backing this up and coming female latin singer. There was a big gig at a Resort up in the Poconos where she's opening for a big name comedian. I so totally wanted to do it. But, that meant two practices this week, four in a row next week, then three the week of the show. 3 hours each. I learned the songs and was ready to go, but I have another band. The singer wanted the whole band there for every practice. I had to back out.

The beauty of doing covers is that you can do 90% of the work at home on your own - learning the songs. I won't work with a cover band anymore that doesn't get that concept. Rehearsals are NOT where you learn the songs. I'm cool with rearranging songs a bit to fit a live setting, but as soon as I hear the keyboard guy asking the guitar player for the chords, I'm packing up.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Good Luck Joe!! You did the right thing. I agree with those guys who said maybe the rest of the Nerve would be into it as a $$ sideline.

6. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Thanks for the input guys. Zulu, I'm going to look into The Mode - never heard of it before.

I am also trying to get The Nerve into doing the cover thing - it may happen, if not, I'm gonna search till I find the shoe that fits. I agree that a cover band should be a fun thing - the guys I was playing with took it so SO damn seriously. I couldn't handle that anymore. Last gig the drummer missed the cue to come in on a song (forgot to check the setlist in time) and I thought the guy who runs the show was gonna have a breakdown. He actually got visibly upset and commented "great goin Santo." Uhhh.... aren't ya supposed to laugh at those things as in, "I guess we're gonna start that one again." I really don't get where these guys are coming from.

I wanted to note this morning (but was in a hurry to get to work) that he's been holding a specific bass player over my head. This guy is interested in playing with them that came out of one of the most popular cover bands in my area. This guy has his own fan base that will follow him around, so regardless of his playing abilities - he would be an asset to the band. I think I'd have to be a real chump to let him keep dangling that over my head.

I feel really good about my newfound freedom.

Jest felt like venting a little more. Thanks again for your comments guys.

Oh yeah - one more thing.... wanna know if this is just me. Every time we play our singer would say endlessly - "hope you enjoy the 'show'", "This is our first 'show' here", the 'show' this, that, the show, the show, our show. This annoyed me to no end - like it's all about us. Isn't it a cover bands job to get the audience going - not to have them gawk at you? Is it a show? Am I the only one who would be annoyed by such a thing?

7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    It sounds like the guys in the cover band want to pretend they're in a big-time Rock band. Besides any personality conflicts you may have with these guys, it probably doesn't help that you are also in an "original" band, and that helps to deflate their Rock & Roll fantasy. I don't think there's anything wrong with the singer using the term "The Show" if you are putting on a show. If the band is just on stage cranking out tunes (which is pretty much what my cover band does - with some lights flashing once in a while), then saying "The Show" is, again, just part of the fantasy.
    Also, if this band has been together for at least two years, you shouldn't have to make-up a rehearsal - just skip it. You obviously have enough material to do gigs.
    I don't know how old these guys are, or how long they've been playing, but it sounds like you need to find some people that are more mature, and have a more realistic outlook on how the "cover band" thing is supposed to be done.
    Good luck...

8. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    The cover band I was in last year had rehersal once a week for about two hours. We had a set list of about 50 songs that I had to brush up on when I first joined, and then every week in rehersal the singer would bring in one new song, and we would all learn it together in rehersal, and play it that weekend. That seemed to work best for that group.

9. Joe -

Good move on your part. Agree that the cover band thing should be fun. Am from NNJ and for whatever reason, the cover band thing here is huge. In a way that is a sad commentary - on the other hand, bassists are pretty much constantly in demand. Don't know if the travelling from NYC will get in the way but here are some suggestions:

Steppin Out mag has ads, also NYCMusician.com, NJRocks.com has some links to classifieds and will give you an idea of the types of cover bands available here. If you can get your hands on the Aquarian, there may be some leads in there too. Last resort could be Harmony Central, I've had some luck getting together with good people from there. But as in many things its a numbers game.

Like you I think the cover band thing should always be fun so I try to get together with like-minded people. I don't know how you lasted 2 years with that guy - you are far more patient than I am.

...you could always get that one aunt to be your agent (the one who got the $400 gig for her nephew). If only all of us had a marekting arm like that - right? I've done the LoveSexy thing too and I know what its like to get paid $15 a head and give all that and some to the Parking attendant!!!

good luck man

10. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Believe it or not, these guys are in their thirties.

Interesting update:

Just battled it out a little more with them cuz they have about 10 gigs booked in the next 2 months and they claim I'm screwing them by just leaving like this. The popular bass guy they thought they had doesn't seem as available as I think they thought he was. The big muscle guy guitarist told me I'm going to really have some problems now if I don't play these 'shows', and he was coming to my house tonight.

I SWEAR I AIN'T MAKIN THIS STUFF UP!!!!!

That fueled my defiance even more. I've been having a rough afternoon. After long talks and negotiations, I decided I'm gonna play out the last of the gigs - as it seems to ultimately be the right thing to do. I always promised them I'd never just split on them. I'm gonna leave with my integrity in tact and no enemies. I hope. We'll see.

I want a fun cover band. I really do.

11. Wow...I just started reading this, that is ridiculous man. Keep us posted on how this develops, these guys sound like real a-holes. I can't believe they would actually threaten you like that.

Hopefully you got something more out of the negotiations then a full set of teeth...

12. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I got a guarantee of $125 per show (they're all local), and they said they'd pay me in advance. As much as I disagree with their lifestyle I'd like to remain in good standing with them. I have no enemies that I can think of - and I like it that way.

Just to make things a bit more colorful for anyone who's been reading this thread - the website of the cover band is www.therumrats.com. I had and have absolutely no say about what's there. I cringe when I go to the site so I'm rarely there.

Please, SERIOUSLY, don't anyone email them for any reason. I really want to try and keep this thing cool, and any comments or anything that came from my direction would just cause trouble. Thanks.

Feel free of course to comment.....

13. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    It looks as if the members of your (x-)band cares more about their looks than their music.

14. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    WI
    hey, just say the word and we'll get a big gang of bassists to come rough em up for ya :mad:

gotta stick together:cool:

lp

15. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    They make threats to replace you, and now you're screwing them when you say you're leaving :rolleyes: .
    Anyway, I'm glad you were able to arrange an amicable departure :cool: .

16. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    im sorry man..
    Good luck on Nerve though..
    Do what you like.. skrew whatever anybody ever sez to you that you dont agree with...
    =D
    ever since i went with that.. my lifes been alot happier.. well man.. if there gonna act like that.. then good riddence.. i was in that situation..
    Im a drummer also... which ive been playing drums since i was born..well ya know.. like id bang around on stuff.. i got my first kit at 4 but thats not the point.. this past summer i was playing in a band and they wanted me to play blink 182 songs.. no real problem.. i didn't like em.. but i didn't play it exactilly the way.. travis played it..id add little fills in.. that didn't throw anybody off.. and if it did.. its cause they sucked cause our guitarist jordan was just fine.. the bassist kevin was a douche bag and it threw him off.. cause hes well... a douche bag and cant play.. and he recently quit bass cause he sez its boring and all the bass is for is following the root note.. you might know him as 'mutilation'... heh anyway man.. they wanted me to read music while playing drums.. i sed "**** you and walked out" kevin sed he was gonna beat me up and that they found another drummer... well the drummer turned em down and kevin came back begging me in the group... to this day he cant look me in the face

17. Sounds like an ugly situation. I ran into something similar, but fortunately, not nearly as ugly. Nobody threatened to come to my house and beat me up if I didn't play or anything like that.

Basically, now that summer's here, I had to alter my schedule for softball and golf. Band practice was Wednesday, and I told the band going in well in advance about my Wednesday softball games, and asked to switch to a different day. All of the band was cool with it, except for the guitar player, because Wednesday was when his girlfriend was out of the house. He tried to turn it around to say that "so and so can't do it any night but Wednesday", or "he works late that other night", etc., but I knew it was bee ess.

My stance was "How bad do you need a bass player?" If it came down to it, I'd quit the band, but as it worked out, I'm still with them, and we're practicing on Thursdays now. It's funny how the need for a bass player usually outweighs most other issues. Hang in there, and they'll come around.

18. Joe,

Did the singer of "RumRats" put that site up? Because if he did, I am surprised you lasted 2 years with him...

Statements like "Phil Monti is the epitome of what a Rock N Roll frontman should be." and "Phil is the "Heart N Soul" of THE RUMRATS!" show me what kind of guy he is.

Glad you could come to a amicable split, but I probably woulda smacked the guy years ago...

19. [​IMG]

Help me, I have fallen in with loosers and i can't get out!!!!!

:D

Is Phil really a Hair colorist and is he serious about the 50% discount? What a maroon.

20. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Now, I label myself a budybuilder and powerlifter, but I don't think I could play with a guitarist who felt the need to flash a tricep pose with his guitar, and then put it on the website.:rolleyes: