Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassist Biography

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Vince S., Jan 20, 2004.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    For an English assignment, I have to read a biography or autobiography.

I figured that I would read about a bassist, Im thinking Jaco, Victor Wooten, etc. Does anyone know of any good biographies on any famous bassists?

Thanks a lot.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The Jaco bio by Bill Milkowski is available.
    ...don't believe there's a bio on Wooten(yet).

Standing In The Shadows Of Motown has some biographical info on James Jamerson.

There's a Mingus bio by Brian Priestley out there, too.

...and dozens of bios about McCartney.
    ;)

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    The Dear Boy: Keith Moon biography is quite entertaining and pretty accurate, but pretty thick. For something lighter, there's Lemmys autobiography(White Line Fever) which is quite funny too. And then there's Janis Joplins biography, Scars of Paradise if I recall correctly, which is quite good too, describes the time broadly and between the previous two in lenght.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Not a bassist, but Miles Davis' autobiography is an awesome read.

5. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    A good book to complement the Miles bio is called (IIRC)
    "Miles and Me."

It was written by Miles road manager of ten years. (Chris Murphy) He also lived with Miles for several years.(as a kind of babysitter/playmate)

It covers quite a bit and also has parts on other people he tour managed.(weather report,etc)

A very interesting read. It also sheds some light on some of Miles's own recollections. (he claims that Miles's book is a bit inaccurate and that some of the stuff in the book did not happen at all)

6. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Mingus has an autobiography called "Beneath the Underdog" which is a fantastic read.