Bassist, cellist, violinist, g*****ist

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fretless5verfan, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Why aren't people who play drums called drummists?
    (as you can tell...i'm in a weird mood...waiting for infor on a bass:()
  2. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    we like to be refered to as Drummers..
    or cavemen or well as far as my girlfriend goes..
    .... I wanna bam bam on he..nevermind :rolleyes: :D
    yes...ahem.. anyway.. =D
    im going now
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Maybe because drummers are the "youngest" instrumentalists of these (the drum set is a child of the 20th century) and the -ist maybe was deemed too old-fashioned, or people didn't know any better.
    In German it's bassist, but some people (esp. in metal) call us bassers, for example.

I know there are "drummers" in classical music, but they're timpan<b>ist</b>s, percussion<b>ist</b>s, etc.
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I have no clue if this is factual in the least, but maybe because "drums" are not a specific instrument, like a bass or a cello, and thus the title of the player is more based on the player than the instrument, like driver instead of drivist, because driving is not as specific. This is completely coming out of my a** mind you, but it's all I can figure without breaking out the Elements of Style book.
  5. Perhaps the suffix, "ist" is a symbol of one who plays a stringed instrument.

*BUT* (here it comes folks) :rolleyes:

As we all know, drummers have their own cymbals. :p :D

I'll leave quietly.

Mike J.