1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bassist/Composer/Producer Ben Allison Releases 12th Album of Original Music, "Layers of the City"

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Jun 19, 2017.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    The album features his band Think Free, which is comprised of some of New York’s most creative improvising musicians, including Jeremy Pelt (trumpet), Steve Cardenas (guitar), Frank Kimbrough (piano), and Allan Mednard (drums). Ben plays acoustic bass and, for the first time on record, electric bass.

Layers of the City is a title that has a lot of meaning for me,” said Ben. “The ‘City’ in this case is New York, my home, where my parents were born, and where their parents arrived as immigrants. The people who live here are from everywhere. The layers of the city are reflected in the grime and uneven slope of old tenement buildings, the gleam and perfect angles of modern glass structures, the makeshift and the honed, the worn out and the state of the art, and everything in between. These juxtapositions, coupled with the cultural diversity of NYC, produce a unique kind of energy and vitality. This is why I live here.”

The album contains all original compositions by Ben, including four new compositions, two re-imagined, previously recorded tunes and, as with all of his releases, a freely-improvised piece.

Production was financed entirely through crowdfunding and pre-sales of the album.

Layers of the City will be available worldwide through iTunes, Amazon and benallison.com.

Ben Allison and Think Free will perform at the Jazz Standard in NYC on
    July 20-22 in celebration of the album’s release.

Please visit www.jazzstandard.com for more information.

unnamed (10).

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Bronx, NY
    Ben's the best!!

Joshua Pickenpaugh likes this.
  3. Great bassist and composer!

emjazz likes this.