1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bassist confessional.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jonathan_matos5, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Phantopeth

Phantopeth

Jan 10, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Back when I was playing bass in a band, I was a bit overweight. Now I've shed the extra 15 pounds and I'm drummer, hah

Also, I can bit a bit of an introvert, so standing back and grooving in the rhythm section goes well with my personality, I suppose.

2. I don't have a goatee
    I'm pretty light (6' and 140lb)
    I get in stupid arguments
    I stand out
    I don't wear hats

But, I do have far more gear than I need

3. That's a great start. Just keep on and you'll be just like us. :cool:

4. Awwwwwwwww poor drummers! What did they do to deserve that? Drummers rule!

5. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Inactive

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    Actually I think moreof the stereotypes are of the type of people that are on forums, not bassplayers. Well except the goatee and maybe the heavy side.

6. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    I can count to "4"

7. I play with my toungue sticking out constantly. I'm also a total gear/tone snob, but my band-mates and I are all audio engineers. I'm constantly picking out frequencys....

8. Wasp

Wasp

Jun 26, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    I hum the notes out when I'm trying to make up music.

Is that just a bassist thing though?

9. toytech

toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    billy goatee, check
    hat with fake dreads, check
    overweight, check.
    real day job, check.

10. or 12... but it's actually 4 times 3...

11. decipher_bass

decipher_bass

May 4, 2004
    A little Pudgy
    wear a hat
    Beard
    Shy
    Stand in the back
    Mediator/voice of reason/dont even get involved

12. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Guilty!

13. AdlerAugen

AdlerAugen

Aug 9, 2006

+1

I bore my lead guitar with discussions of music theory and the physics behind music, like the timbre of different instruments, overtones, fundamentals, acoustic vs electronic pianos (biiiiig difference there, especially as far as pedalling is concerned). Yea majorly guilting of talkin about music theory with people who don't understand...comes from ten years of classical piano training, soon to be more as I major in music starting this fall. I can't wait.

14. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    this is crazy...

Van...yes
    Beard...yes
    Infamous hat (preferably yellow)...yes
    Shy...yes
    Mediator...yes
    wrenches/screwdrivers/strings for my guitarist (on occasion)/extra cables/extra strap/etc. etc......all in the van...yes
    Biggest guy in band (6'4 230lb)...yes
    Carry others gear...yes

15. 4strinbass

4strinbass

Nov 24, 2006
    i'm black

16. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    Van...My stuff won't fit into my bimmer coupe so I have to drive the mommy-mobile to gigs
    Beard...no
    Infamous hat (preferably yellow)...never
    Shy...not really
    Mediator...not really (actually I'm the evil-genius who tells the puppet dictator -- singer -- what to do behind the scenes)
    wrenches/screwdrivers/strings for my guitarist (on occasion)/extra cables/extra strap/etc. etc......no
    Biggest guy in band ...5'10" 175 lbs. I'm only larger than our female singer.
    Carry others gear...not a chance

17. Wasp

Wasp

Jun 26, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Can you play awesome slap lines too? :D

18. the_fonz

the_fonz

Nov 27, 2006
    Kane, PA
    i scream acapella funk basslines in my sleep
    so i'm either a bassist, or in need of an exorcism

19. tbone409

tbone409

Feb 17, 2007
    kenosha, wi
    +100000

i'm the biggest guy at 6 2" 145 vs. female lead singer who is at least 4 foot nothing:p
    goofy hat perferably a fodera, newsboy acceptable
    in the back... no because i'm in a 2 peice band there is no back, but i do sit off to the side and sing with no microphone (my singing skills are so bad when i'm playing bass :rollno: )
    i also cant slap amazing bass lines...
    buffing over music theory... all the time:D
    i'm also the cool headed one

20. I'm loud but not arrogant. I dream of big rigs (of the amplification not variety, not cargo transportation) and basses, if I could grow a decent goatee I would have one, I know the most musical theary in my current band, I get angry when I can't be heard, I like to be felt as well as heard (f'nar f'nar), I don't care how simple it is I love a good bass solo, I show people pictures of marcus miller...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021