Featured Bassist Danny Ziemann hosts First Call Bassist Roadmap, Free Zoom Workshop

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Jun 1, 2022.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    June 4th & 5th, 12:00-1:15pm EDT (daily via Zoom)

Register via: First Call Bassist Roadmap

(Vienna, Austria) May 24, 2022 – Internationally touring jazz bassist, educator, and five-time author Danny Ziemann will host a free two-day online workshop called the First Call Bassist Roadmap, designed to help bassists transform their listening and playing skills so they can become first-call players.

Bass players have long been the engine of a musical group, providing the necessary foundation for other musicians to play and sound their best. In a jazz context, this includes knowing tons of tunes, being able to learn quickly and accurately without charts, and follow everything that’s happening in any given moment. While these skills are integral for bass players, they’re not so easy to develop.

“There are tons of apps, videos, and other lessons you can use — but even then, they don't lay a clear path from Point A to Point B,” says Ziemann. “Time spent memorizing intervals and chords, doing melodic dictations, or ‘memorizing’ changes never really translates to what you need for gig, because they skills are often learned out of context. This can be demotivating and lead to frustration. There are more direct paths to developing quick, accurate, and reliable ears — and I’m excited to share them in this workshop.”

There are unique challenges and opportunities inherent to the instrument that require a different approach to teaching and learning listening skills. Often what occurs is that bassists try to rely on what they “know” about a tune —theoretically — which effectively limits their ability to listen and be in the moment. After years of teaching, researching educational methods, and studying with leading ear-training pedagogues, Ziemann has developed these workshops specifically for bassists.

Ziemann says “Many bassists I work with remain stuck behind the intellectual barrier — thinking about theory, patterns, etc. — but don’t have the tools to tie their efforts together. This workshop will provide a language-based approach to ear-training and listening, giving bassists the tools they need to effectively start improving their ears immediately. It is based on the same curriculum I designed for my private programs and with my university students.”

The workshop is appropriate for both upright and electric bassists of all levels. While the focus uses jazz repertoire, all interested bassists are encouraged to register.

Ziemann’s publications are endorsed by major bass players in the jazz scene, including John Clayton, Rufus Reid, Larry Grenadier, Steve Swallow, Kristin Korb, and Marco Panascia. “Danny Ziemann has given considerable thought to the role of the bass in jazz, and has devised a practicing program sure to develop the skills you’ll need to provide what the music requires,” says legendary electric jazz bassist Steve Swallow. Bassist Larry Grenadier says Ziemann is an “extremely talented bassist full of creativity, enthusiasm, and the utmost respect for the tradition.”

About Danny Ziemann

For Danny Ziemann, being a musician was inevitable. He began learning music at age nine and discovered jazz bass a few years later. Love of music paved the way for Danny to earn two degrees from Eastman School of Music. In 2017, he was first bassist with Focusyear Artist Diploma Band in Switzerland. Then in Fall of 2018, he was interim professor of jazz bass at the Eastman School of Music.

He has played with such jazz luminaries as Jorge Rossy, Wolfgang Muthspiel, Sheila Jordan, Danny Grissett, Bobby Militello, and Bill Dobbins. In addition to performing and teaching, he also records, produces educational video courses for the website Discover Double Bass, authors educational books, and founded Low Down Publishing, a company producing music education books. He is currently based in Vienna, Austria, where he teaches his online program the First Call Bassist. He is also a lecturer of Ear Training, Ensembles, and Theory at the University of Music and Performing Arts in Graz. Outside of music, Danny is a self-proclaimed espresso aficionado and latte artist.

To Register:

First Call Bassist Roadmap

Quick Info:

Dates: Saturday June 4th and Sunday June 5th (daily)

Times: 12:00-1:15pm Eastern US Time

unnamed.jpg

Matthew_84, Jeff Elkins, BOOG and 3 others like this.
  2. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    I attended this seminar last year - and I’m going again this year. Danny is a great presenter, and the information he shares is hard won and SUPER helpful. Plus, he’s a great resource after the session. Excellent class.

3. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward!

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    I was lucky to study under Danny Z at @ SUNY Oswego - he is a wonderful player, educator, and human being!