1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bassist for Blind Melon

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by oldrocker, Apr 10, 2006.

1. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I saw a Blind Melon concert on VH1 Ckassic channel last night. I think it was recorded in '95. Not a big fan of the group, and don't know who he was, but the bass player was great. Looked like a '75 Jazz bass played through Ampegs. Great tone, tasteful fills, he caried most of the tunes.

2. I don't know his name either, but his playing on their self titled album is very nice. Good occasional listen

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    His name is Brad Smith, he's a excellent player! I wasn't a big fan of singer Shannon Hood, but I dug the band anyway. Check out the band Unified Theory if you can find them, it was the band Brad had after Blind Melon.....nice basswork!

4. yeah, i remember seeing Blind Melon on a SNL rerun, and thats the first time i noticed him...he actually has a pretty cool groove in "no Rain"

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "No Rain" is included in the SNL 25 Years Of Music DVD set. Nice version...weird hearing Hoon singing those words & knowing what was to happen.