Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassist for Focus (70's)?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by XavierG, Mar 10, 2001.

1. I can't believe I don't remember the guys name. My memory is failing me (not that it's ever been that great). I mean, Focus, with Jan Akkerman, was probably one of my all time favorites. The basslines were not extraordinary, but I really liked the classical influence that the group brought into its music. The quintessential Focus album (to me) was Focus III which featured "Sylvia" & "Anonymus Two".

So, anybody have the answer to my million $ question?

2. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Thats so cool that you remember Focus at all. Those guys had some really cool ****. I have 2 albums by them ("In and out of Focus" and "Hamburger Concerto").

Their original bassist was Cyril Havermans, then replaced by Bert Ruiter.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...and Thijs Van Leer on flute, keys, & yodeling! ;)
    Van Leer even appears on Montreux Summit, a 70s-ish Columbia Records' Jazz All-Stars' "jam" album(others include Alphonso Johnson, Billy Cobham, Stan Getz, Dexter Gordon, Steve Khan, Bob James, Hubert Laws, etc).

Way back when, I must've picked up that one Focus album a hundred times & yet never bought it...They jammed! ;)
    Ackerman has some solo stuff out there(not sure what it's about or who else is on it, though). If interested, www.audiophileimports.com

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"Moving Waves" by Focus was the first LP I ever bought - before that it was all singles, but I can remember coming home from the record shop and feeling that I was going to drop it and break it - long, long time ago! I did get the next one but I can't remember what it was called. After that I think I got a Saturday job so I could buy more albums - I was hooked!

5. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Funny you should mention Focus. They had that one wacked out song with dude yodeling and playing flute between verses (if you can call em' that). Ah, Hocus Pocus!!!!!