Bassist for G&R

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by PeaveyTNT, Dec 5, 2002.

1. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    There is something about that man's style... It reminds me of Mike Dirnt... but i sorta (dont get mad) I hear fieldy.

Now, I know G&R is older than those 2... but that is who i hear... I can only hear the fieldy sometimes... mainly in Paradise city...

he has the most awsome sound.

to bad he is dead... i think he is dead...
  2. Duff McKagan is still alive and kicking, kid.
  3. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    oh... I figured he was dead since axle is off touring with all new band members...
  4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    wow, the minute you step off the spotlight you are dead to these people...

I dont want to be famous* :(

*not even trying :D
  5. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    Its not that he isnt famous... I just figured he was dead... I thought I had heard that Axle was the last live original member... It was on Love-Line I think...

*Goes to bed*
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Slash is more productive (and alive) than Axl, you should change your sources.
  7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    A little off topic: New G n' R... IS ****ING AWFUL!
  8. Duff Rules!!

He sometimes doesn't get the respect he deserves. I've read on numerous threads that he sucks, he didn't play on "Appetite" and that they hired a session player, etc.

I have no idea why, but people just don't want to admit he's a pretty darn good bass player. Just because he plays with a pick (btw, I don't :)), his main style is punk, he also plays guitar and drums, and that he had that 80's hairstyle, doesn't mean he sucked.

For me, he was the one who shaped Gun's N' Roses' sound.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.
  9. Man I thought Duff was great. He played some intricate s**t. And he was solid as a rock-
  10. never cease to amaze me.
  11. Lets be honest with each other here. Duff is good. But more importantly , he was .....wait for it Yes , cool. Why ? who knows . But he was.
  12. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    gee... thanks Jaswine...
  13. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Axl's band is not Guns N Roses. He is an ass. Guns N Roses consists of Slash, Duff, Izzy, Matt and Axl. Those are the current members of a band (minus Axl) that they are working right now. I would call that GNR before that Axl monstosity. I wouldn't pay 5 cents to see Axl Rose.
  14. Axl's Band actually rules quite a lot you know. They were at the Leeds festival this year and were thoroughly impressive. I'm sure Axl is actually a schizophrenic- one minute he is great and looks like he might get up off his arse, release a new album and go on tour, and then he cancels all his gigs and starts riots. He's completely insane, but when I saw him + his friends, they were amazing.

Not that I would rather see them than Slash, Duff etc :)

Anyone know If they've found a singer yet?
  15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I personally hope they all destroy each other. :D
  16. I like the playing a lot. The hair and the tight, short 1980s shorts = bad.
  17. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Duff is a sick ####in' bassist. He's got a very complicated simplicity about him. I look to him and Matt Freeman (Rancid) for inspiration when I play bass with a pick. His lines were mostly just major-up-the-scale runs, but they were tight and he wasn't mixed out of the studio recordings.

G&R in its heyday was okay. They suck now. But Duff rules!
  18. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Duff does in fact rule! Lots of people have negative opinions about the "hairband" bass players from the 80's and early 90's....these are the guys who gave me my reason to start playing. A lot of these bands also did pretty darn well with their 3 chord tunes.

Duff's sound on Appetite was really captured what I consider the "GK 80's" sound and I try my damndest to get that tone.
    Being a fan of his I try and keep some track of what's going on with him. These days I read he has gone back to school and has regrouped with Slash and Matt Sorum. Rumored that they were talking with the singer of Buckcherry for a spot on vocals.
    He's still endorsed by GK and Rotosound strings and like I said before, his basslines with GNR were, IMHO a semi-truck that stood out in the mix and complimented Slash and Izzy on guitar.

FWIW, GNR (The Axl Rose Band) recently cancelled their show in Dallas after ticket sales barely filled 1/4 of the arena....go figure.
  19. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Original Gn´Fn´R´s Rule!!!!!!!!!

Hey I´d herad some news, few monthas ago that Izzy, Slash, Duff and Matt ( or maybe Steven Adler don´t remember) where working together on a new album or something........ interesting!!!!!:D :D
  20. it's Slash, Duff, Matt Sorum and Izzy Stradlin who've regrouped - I wonder what state of health Steven Adler is in these days...

and as for Duff McKagen, I watched a documentary "Top ten of stadium rock" including G N' R - Duff recounting the story of how his pancreas burst after the end of the Use your illusion tour:eek:
    the guy looks like a scarecrow now......