Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassist for "Humble Pie"?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Skel, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I don't know much about Humble Pie, except that Frampton was in the band for a while. I was over at a friends house a while back, sitting on his patio drinking beer. He has some good speakers out there, and coming out of them was the most awesome sound...Humble Pie. The bass lines were excellent and well played. Now I want to get some of their music for myself.

Anybody know much about who this guy was, etc.?

Skel

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I dont know any of their stuff, but they were in the movie Almost Famous, and Frampton makes a cameo playing one of their roadies hehe.

3. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Guy's name was Greg Ridley. Sadly he passed away, I think last year. I loved that band when Frampton was in it. I was just a 17 year old kid when I first heard Live at the Filmore. Was a big influence on me as a young bass player. Greg was solid all the time and played great basslines that always contributed to the tune. RIP

4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

he died in 2003 , and the world lost a great talent ...

he was the rockin' foundation for Humble Pie , and also Spooky Tooth back in the late '60's .

i remember Humble Pie in concert , here in San Antonio in 1970 .
    it was a killer concert , too bad i wasn't really into bass at the time ,
    or i would have gotten his autograph .
    i do still own the concert ticket , i think it cost me all of $10.00 to get great
    seats for my girlfriend and myself ... :D

check out some of the earlier Pie albums for some sweet harmonies
    and fantastic bass playing .

5. I'm so glad to see this band mentioned here. They're one of the most unknow/unappreciated band from the era. They kicked ass.

6. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Humble Pie - Rockin' the Fillmore

and

The Who - Live at Leeds

The 2 best live rock albums ever.

7. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Yea, like I said, I was sitting on this guy's patio and I was like "Who in the hell is this?" They ROCKED, and the bass player kicked ass. Funny how you grow to appreciate things in life that you didn't notice a long time ago. They were ahead of their time.

Skel

8. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W' Sconsin
    Yes, Rock On an 'Stone Cold Fever' over and over and over. That is one of the handful of records I learned from when I got my first bass. That whole band was prime. The loudest funk this side of ZZ Top.

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I saw them a few times, and Ridley was a big influence on me as a young player!

10. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

11. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I checked it out, and was digging around some articles - not sure if it was Greg or not, but behind this guy (playing a Precision) was a Hartke 4x10. I also saw a pic a while back of Jack Bruce with a Hartke rig. I say this because Hartke is not exactly known as "top of the line" gear, unless I'm just wrong about this.

Skel

12. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    +1 I saw them in the 70s at the Alexandria (VA) Roller Rink. They were on a bill with King Crimson. Robert Fripp still looked like Noel Redding back then! Fantastic show!
    Their 2 most essential albums: "Rockin' the Fillmore" and "Smokin'". 30 Days In The Hole!
    RIP Greg Ridley and Steve Marriott.

13. i dunno, some of the higher quality hartke's are pretty good, they pioneered the aluminum cone IIRC, which was pretty popular for bassists, i know bruce has them, Will Lee uses them, I believe Jaco even used them at the end of his career, but i am not sure about that...

14. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    What he said.

15. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    You know what's weird, and correct me if my perception is wrong, but 17 year olds today are listening to Zep and Floyd -stuff like that. Not all of them, but some of them. When you were a kid, didn't you think your parent's music was completely lame? I don't remember anybody I knew listening to "old" people's music when I was a kid (even though I liked some of the stuff I heard on my dad's car radio, but I sure didn't know who it was or buy it).

Skel

16. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Smokin' is one of my favorite albums; Ridley had a great tone on that one. Saw them live shortly before Marriot died.

17. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Check this out. I was taking a music class with mostly adults but there was this teenager as well, and I heard him play some Hendrix tunes. Not great, but that's not the point. Here is a teenager getting into music written by someone who died before he was even born. I'm sure he got turned on to Hendrix by his parents. I think it's really cool. I see my daughters really digging the music I listen to. They were boogying to the Zapp band in the minivan the other day. lol.

The moral of the story is that our parent's music sucked. But ours continues to rock! \m/\m/

18. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Humble Pie was one of my favorite British bands of the times and Greg Ridley was one of the main reasons...I got to see them live in 1969-70 and they were so energetic and infectious and they laid down such great solid grooves that they were a very impressive band with Steve Marriott on vocals and guitar and Peter Frampton as well on lead guitar and vocals ...I'd love to see a live DVD of those guys...does one exist?...Peace...:cool: DAcat

19. I’m with you on that one, 100%!!!!!

I absolutely love those two albums. Both of them have fantastic bass playing and they rock like crazy!!! When I’m cruising in my car and I can’t decide which CD to play, it usually ends up being either one of those two.

I remember reading an article not so long ago in maybe Bass Player magazine and the author had researched where Greg Ridley was located. The author found him selling books in a small bookstore somewhere in London (I believe). He had stopped playing for quite some time. The author told Greg how much Greg’s bass playing had moved him and many others. Greg had no idea about this. The author writes that Greg’s wife later confided in him (I think at Greg’s funeral) that after Greg and the author’s interview, Greg had picked up the bass again.

I my opinion losing John Entwistle and Greg Ridley were two tremendous losses to the bass guitar world.

20. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Greg Ridley & Jerry Shirley did a Humble Pie album with former Jeff Beck singer Bob Tench before Greg died, he still sounded great!