Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassist for Jane Monheit on "Come Dream With Me"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    More specifically, who is the bassist who plays on this album? Most specifically, the song "A Case of You"? It's got some very tasty fretless playing on it and I'd love to hear what else the fellow/lady has played on.

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    It's Christian McBride, but I thought he was playing upright only?

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    It sure didn't sound like an upright...the other Jane Monheit tracks I have do, but that one track sounded very fretless BG, especially a particular slide and an upper-register fill. It could've been an upright, but it had a better sustain and without the (most of the time) unmistakable sound of the interaction of the fingers, strings, and fretboard that you can hear on other tracks that's so unique to upright playing.

4. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    chris play's great electric frettless also

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I thought so...I gave it a few more listens, and I'm positive it's fretless. If nothing else than that it totally sounds like fretless BG, there's a sliding harmonic in there with no finger noise, something I've never heard someone do on an URB.