Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassist from Bloc Party's gear

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Ninja>Pirate, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Ninja>Pirate

Ninja>Pirate Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Saskatchewan Canada
    Does anyone know the pickups, pedals, and amp/cab setup the guy from Bloc Party uses? I can't seem to get in contact with him, he's probably pretty busy. I know some people on here might not respect him as much as I do, I really respect the way he doesn't play very complicated stuff but it adds so much to the music. I just love his sound on the recordings and live it sounds pretty good too.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    My post is of no help, other than bumping your thread, but two points need to be made on my behalf.

- I like Bloc Party... at least I think I do. I saw them on Conan and I was surprised. By the end of the song I liked them. Good Indie Rock. The bassist did seem to have good tone.

- Your username is so beyond wrong. What do ninjas have? Honor, and black masks. Pirates have sweet treasure and parrots that talk.

3. Ninja>Pirate

Sep 14, 2005
    Saskatchewan Canada
    Thank you for your very informative post... I would like to direct you to here any further discussion and I might flip out and kill EVERYONE!

So nobody knows what gear he uses?

4. He uses Fender Ps, Ashdown ABM amps and cabs (4x10s and 1x15s I think), and I from what I've heard on the album he's not a fan of effects. He leaves the guitarists to do that.

5. Ninja>Pirate

Sep 14, 2005
    Saskatchewan Canada
    Thank you so very much, I think my next amp might just be an ashdown... (My main bass is really similar to his I think, fender highway 1 P)

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Just from the tone you can tell it is a P, im actually listening to the cd right now, coincidence.Ashdown is a good sign as well.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    And as for the amp , get an Ashdown MAG300h, its a great amp and with your bass you can easily get a tone like his, just boost the bass and low mids a bit.