Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassist from: Glassjaw

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MrBungle3, Jul 11, 2002.

1. MrBungle3

MrBungle3

May 16, 2002
    Dallas
    Sometimes I feel I'm one of only 20 people that have heard of this band, but if you haven't (and you like semi-heavy stuff) check it out.

I wanted to see if anyone knows how to obtain the type of tones that glassjaw's bass player gets-- he goes from raw, crunchy lows (maybe overdrive?) to smooth bubbly mids and highs, just a good overall tone from is bass (I know he plays a Fender jazz bass)
    any help/advice is appreciated, thanks.

2. CocoMonkey

CocoMonkey

Mar 7, 2000
    Sacto, CA
    Hey, I wish I could help you there but I'm just as curious as you. He gets a good distorted dirty tone on their heavier stuff, but can also get a great clean tone. I saw them at a local club about six weeks ago but couldn't get a good view of what his setup was. I know he was using an Ampeg 8x10, but I'm curious in what distortion/overdrive pedal he was using. He has a cool style, almost jazz like in some stuff. They were hardcore jazz musicians at one time. Maybe if you go to there website you can get some info?

3. I know he uses precisions, In the Ape dosmil he plays a P bass with a J Pup at the bridge. And I also noticed a MusicMan among his basses, I think it was a 5er but not sure.

Hey Cocomonkey, how did you get to know they were jazz musicicans?

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Worst 20 bucks I ever spent. I read good reviews, and bought the CD, unheard...tehy have a cool sound, but with no real structure (or chorus, for that matter) it struck me as being stuck at an open mic night at a coffee shop. They aren't bad...but very far from my cup of tea.

5. MrBungle3

MrBungle3

May 16, 2002
    Dallas
    respectable opinion, we all have our own tastes, but I think that most of their songs are structured, but they try to keep a little of a 'chaos' factor in their music I guess. I think that it makes it a little more interesting to see what they do next - but all of their songs have a distinct chours--sometimes its a little hard to tell because the guitars dont play powerchords throught the song, the bass player usually carries the chorus.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I was reffering to a vocal chorus. Maybe it's to prog for me or something...But I was struck that is was like listening to a poetry reading. Which left most of the songs without a hook (not all hooks are pop hooks) it left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. I can see that it would leave room to emphasize the lyrics, but with the vocals mixed so predomanetly, it didn't toot my horn.

7. MrBungle3

MrBungle3

May 16, 2002
    Dallas
    Oh I see what your saying now, yeah thats understandable. I personally like it, it seems like their songs are very real, like its true emotion...and I guess its hard to find/write hooks when your pissed off, ect. His lyrics take more of that 'poetic' character as you described, and the music doesnt really pause- or frame hooks very much, or at all. But I think that it keeps a realness to the meaning and feelings of the songs--which is one of the reasons I love glassjaw.

8. CocoMonkey

CocoMonkey

Mar 7, 2000
    Sacto, CA
    Hey about the jazz musican thing...
    I have a friend who caught the guitar players and the bass player playing some jazz standards backstage before a show. Those guys are awesome musicians.