Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bassist from incubus is too good

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by toolfanhere, Sep 25, 2002.

1. toolfanhere

toolfanhere

Aug 17, 2000
    his slap style is so good im having a hard time trying to play this song "redefine". anyone know the best way to play that bass solo (techniquewise)? im trying to keep up with it but its way too fast.

2. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    i think he uses left hand slap which u should get a good response for if u search on this site, but i do this thing where i slap with my thumb then with my lil finger and just rotate my wrist. sounds pretty much the same just less orthodox.

im sure ud get a better response from the technique forum tho

3. toolfanhere

toolfanhere

Aug 17, 2000
    thanks. can anyone elaborate on left hand technique??

4. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I think the easiest way is to double thumb it, but its not that much harder to double pop. You do have to use a left hand slap to.

5. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    dirk lance is a beast dude. The guy slaps fast when he wants to

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have seen this guy on tv i he sounded was good. What kind of axe does he play it had some f holes in it.

7. fenderboy

fenderboy

Jun 21, 2002
    I haven't heard it im in the process of downloading it right now but, anyways it sounds to me like what you think he is doing is a double thump then on the up thump he hits the strings with his index finger and middle finger ray riendeau and victor wooten do this technique alot.

8. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    that axe would be the warwick infinity 5 string double hallow body. :D

9. Audiosolace

Audiosolace Guest

Oct 8, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Dirk has always been one of my biggest influences, but not because of his slap technique. The technique that Dirk is famous for is... double thumbing (check out the line in Certain Shade of Green)! Left hand, as everyone has said before me, is very key to getting some of the muted notes to come out - as fast as he crams those together, you could really fake it and just alternate thumb and left hand, popping when necessary, but that doesn't look quite as cool. *grin*

10. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    can u expand on how to do this plz? i dont understand the part when u say 'on the up thump he hits the strings with his index finger and middle finger '