Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassist from John Mayer

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ikickuintheballs, Aug 14, 2002.

1. What do you think of this guy? I just recently heard the song "No Such Thing" by John Mayer and was pulled in by his beautiful bass playing. He's a great support for the band while adding much to the flavor of it. Listening to his playing puts a smile on my face and reassures me that there still are great bassists in pop. :)

Oh yea, what's his name?

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Yes he is a great bass player.. His live playing is much better.. he stays in the pocket for the most part.. but I saw him play live once and he took a solo.. it was very very good

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I caught Mayer on Last Call with Carson Daly and I thought he sounded pretty good. Mayer also sounded pretty nice running basslines on his acoustic unaccompanied on the first song.

4. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
    I think you nailed the description perfectly, good support with flavor.. a nice spice rack. He smiles too, which is refreshing these days. John is a very diverse guitarist from what I've seen, I glanced at a clip of what appeared to be him slapping on guitar, anyone whose seen them live notice this?

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah John does do some slap guitar.. he does it on a song called Neon... its pretty cool to see him do it live...

6. and the bassist's name is what?

I too like his playing, it really drives that "I wanna run thru the walls of my high school song".

do what I'm gonna do, check the allmusicguide, www.allmusic.com

Mark

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Mayer's a former Berklee attendee. For a top-40 artist, he's hiding some serious chops.

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    When Mayer's album first came out, it had a bonus C.D. of him playing live doing Hendrix stuff....yeah he comes to play!

9. bassbunny

bassbunny Guest

Aug 17, 2002
    Visalia, California
    Hi kickuintheballs

His name is Dave LeBruyere and yes he is awesome. I believe he also plays for a band called Over the Rine.