Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bassist from the strokes...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by lemonadeisgood, Jan 3, 2002.

1. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    what do you guys think of him?

great setup, a nice rickenbacker into a vintage svt with vintage 8x10.

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i can hear him at least :)

i haven´t listened much (just last nite and barely legal) but he seems like an OK fella

3. Err, i personally think he is a bit poo. Havent listened that closey but it appears to be terribly boring stuff. PLus I dont like Rics, but he also uses a Fender Jazz, which is good.

sim

4. He's a picker...
    But not a grinner...

5. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    he has a nice bassline in the song "this is it".

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

He seems to still be getting acquainted with the instrument.......or else he's doing a great job of hiding his ability.

He's got the gear. Now he just needs to learn how to use it.

Just my opinion

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    tht's the kind of music i really like! i have never been a fan of virtuoso players, even if i admire them. the strokes are a band of mediocre players (or better thay do their best to sound mediocre) but they have great melody and really good songs. i love simplicity combined with melody. they have a great attitude and i love their singer's way of express. i don't mind anymore if they are not good players (the rhythmic guitar player the one with a white strato is really poor with technique...) i appreciate their ideas a lot!

8. I'm not especially a fan of virtuoso bassists, but I do like to hear a bassline played consistently, with feeling and some recogniseable degree of skill.

From what I've heard of The Strokes - which is most of the CD a couple of times over - I can't remember thinking anything particular about the bass - which generally means it didnt stand out to me at all.

That said I wasnt impressed by The Strokes as a band. I got the impression that they were all marketing and little talent.
    My initial thoughts were "what's all the hype about.. this just sounds like a bunch of beginners"

Just my opinion, not worth the screen it's written on really!

9. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    come on guys, he's no Michael Anthony, but he's got cool hair, and that's gotta count for something, eh??

10. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    The singer for the strokes reminds me of johnny depp.

11. YES!...oh...wait...nope, you lose :p

meh...they've a few catchy tunes, the bass is pretty straight ahead...

as i've said before: "meh"

12. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I think I've only ever heard their song "Last Nite". I really like the song. It's a tune you can dance to. :D.

Nikolai Fraiture, I think, is the bassist's name. Since I've only heard this one song, I can't say much about him. His bassline in the song works, in my opinion. Simple, but good.

13. His bass playing fits the music, and I think he does a good job for what he does, which is good enough for me. I like to listen to music, not to technique.

- Jamey (who never heard a Strokes song he didn't like)

14. I saw the strokes here in Austin @ Stubbs a couple of months ago. As rickbass said looks like he's geting acquianted with his bass...
    But I find this inspiring since every live show I see, the bassist looks like he/her was born with it attached to their hip.
    It reminds me of people that drive very attentively with their head over the steering wheel, hands at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions. IMHO, they look dorky, but are just as good drivers (or better) than some of us road raging idiots.

15. btw, he uses a Fender Jazz as well.

16. Noikolai Fraiture - how could he not be famous with a name like that!

Fink Pokeymutton
    Gratt Firmandshake
    Zingol Bulburrynid

Aaah silly names. I love 'em

17. I guess that's what it takes: a silly name & dumb luck.

Goes to show that anyone can become a famous bass player if you are at the right place at the right time.

Talent is mostly secondary.

18. I like the tone from the song "This is It?" Can one get it without a Rick or all tube SVT/Ampeg Cab? I have an Elrick Jazz, Eden WT-800 and Epifani, try to get the sound but it seems that my set up is much more "cleaner" sounding, maybe it's the tube amp that Nikolai is using.

19. I really like the bass melody on the song "Just" on their new album. I'm considering picking it up. I think some of the guitar interplay is pretty cool sounding too.

So what if they are overhyped and the music is simple? I like it.

20. I like them too, going to their concert tomorrow on Wednesday at The House of Blues, it will be cool. House of Blues got one of the best sound system.