Bassist in hiatus support group.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Chunk-O-Funk, Jul 11, 2005.

1. This applies (mostly) to the older bassist here as you will have to be in order get where I am now. Although I wouldn't mind hearing feedback on similar situations.

Hi, my name is Matt and I used to play the bass. (group responds: HI MATT!) :D :bag:

You see, I am in a bit of a hiatus that has turned into a five year stint, and I am hoping that it does not turn into a regret. As much as I love making music in a band, right now, I equally love the time I have to myself.

This all comes from me passing on a recent offer to play in a well known local band. After adding the pros and cons I decided that the band and mostly the bands schedule was not for me, so I don't have a regret there, but now I have the question, What now?

Let me explain how I got here. At the time I was in my last band that ran about six or seven years I was working a full time-plus job of about a 50-55 hour work week. With the band we rehearsed once a week and played at lest two nights per week, in the summer it was usually three nights and sometimes four. Playing in that band was a great time for me and I would not trade any of it for anything but with a schedule like that you will miss out on other things. So when that band broke up like most bands do I decided I would take a little time for myself. Instead of playing in a club I would go see some bands play, instead of playing at someone's Christmas party, New Years Eve I would go to one of my own. You get the idea.

So after some time I started getting back into it. I got into a couple of bands and either the project never got off the ground or I backed out because It turn out not to be what I wanted. But now it has been more than five years and I have like zero motivation to get up off my arse and get back into what I once loved to do.

So....for those of you who have been or maybe are there. How long was\is your hiatus? Did you make it back?
  2. You still practice on your own though, right? You never have to start playing totally, unless you're somehow incapacitated.

For me personally, I'm on hiatus from becoming a serious gigging player until I finish graduate school... the workload is just too heavy for me to put a lot of time into anything other than my band that I"m in now, which also happens to be on a hiatus of sorts due to the departure of our vocalist. It's okay though, because it gives me a chance to spend plenty of time in the shed, if you know what I mean.
  3. It's been a few months, and I miss it... My drummer simply decided that other things were either more time consuming (like work) or more interesting (like watching television) than playing music. Maybe he'll decide to make music again, someday. In the meantime, I write lyrics for myself (I'm the vocalist in another project) and so I don't feel entirely useless. However, writing and playing are two different pursuits, and I miss making music.
  4. Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    I was encouraged to come out of my hiatus in a different way...

I started playing at 12 and played in bands consistently until finishing college at 22. At that point I was so broke I had to sell all my gear and stopped playing. The years went by (got married, had 2 kids) and started going to church. I would see these church bands play and all of a sudden I would find myself singing bass lines and not the words. I did this in the car all the time, too. I knew at that point I needed to play again. I picked up a Squire and an old Peavey practice amp and worked my way back into playing about 8 years after I stopped. Now it's almost 4 years later, and between my band, church, and side projects, I don't have a shortage of nice gear and jammin' opportunities. And I'm still highly motivated.

The moral of the story is that if there's a little something in you whispering "Play bass!" then do so. If the motivation is not there, or you are not sure if you should pick it back up, maybe wait a little longer. In the meantime hang around TB and listen to some good bass artists for inspiration. Learn to appreciate the instrument again. Maybe something will set off a spark for you. It was like a little alarm clock went off in me and I knew it was time to play again.
  5. TechZilla

Jun 18, 2005
    Owensboro, KY
    I’m just recently emerging from a 12 (like a dozen man) year hiatus. One minute I’m on a stage opening for Pantera the next I’m bandless, gigless, and engulfed in “real job”. I’m not sure what made me put my axe down but I do know what made me pick it back up. Believe it or not it was my 6 year old twin boys and a living room viewing of the Jack Black Classic “School of Rock”. As cheesy as this sounds it was their fascination with those kids playing in that band that inspired me to attempt to verse them in the magic that is being a “musician”. After several hundred dollars a Mini Squier Strat, Mini Marshall and a Mini Drum Set I discovered just how short the attention span of a 6 year old really is. In the process I also discovered how strong my passion for being a bassist is. Since my fateful yet unsuccessful attempt at enlightening my children to the wonderful world of music a day has not gone by that an instrument has not been in my hand. I guess I just needed a push or as my wife would probably refer to it “an excuse” to begin again what I love so much. The great thing is if my kids ever decide they want to learn they already have a room full of gear to learn with.

The moral of the story:

Take your break if you want, your passion for playing won’t ever go away.
  6. No, never stopped practicing. I have a routine just to keep my hands in shape but I don't do it half as often as I should. Every once in a blue moon I get together with by brother who plays drums and recently I picked up a Lexicon Omega muti-track recorder interface for my PC to keep me further interested. So personally I am still interested in playing bass, it's mostly the band situation I am torn with.

For me there is nothing like being in a solid band and playing live, great feeling when it all comes together. I am just baffled as to why I am not motivated.

I know it's like Roundwound said. I'm waiting for that spark but man-o-man it's almost like I don't care about being in a band anymore. ( I can't believe I just type that :scowl: ) hanging around here does help though.

Hey TechZilla, great story. Thanks.

Keep em coming.
  7. I've been in and out of bands since the early 80's. I've found that it's harder to grow as a musician while in a band. I use the "down time" to expand horizons and work on technique and other stuff that you don't always have time to work on while in a band.