Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassist in need of direction

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lamborghini98, Oct 20, 2005.

1. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Some of you may know that I have just taken my name off of DP's queue... so now Im in the market for something nice and used. Im having a lot of trouble with direction. There are so many nice basses out there in or around my price range. The feel Im looking for is similar to a jazz bass, but I also want something different. Im looking at the Nordstrand 4 banger deluxe, a few Q5's with Barts, a few Roscoes, a few Dingwalls, and 2 Rbasses.

Ive heard Dingwalls before, but am a little uneasy about the whole fanned fret thing. Im sure that give some hard work I could figure it out, but do I need to? Im still doing a lot of learning, imo (i dont know the fretboard as well as I'd like to, and am working on the Dimmin method... if any of you knows what that means), so I feel like this might either throw off my playing or just plain be over the top. I like the looks of some of the Dingwalls out there, and can def. afford them.

I really havent heard much about how Nordstrand basses sound. All I hear is that theyre great, and this one in particular is quite versatile. Is the feel of any of these basses that I mention particularly different from most basses (I noticed that sometimes nicer basses have very different qualities. For instance, I noticed that 2 Pedullas I played had insanely thin necks. I also noticed that some other basses are very thin. These are important factors to me)?

I dont know anything about Roscoes or RBasses. I know everything I need to know about Modulus Q5's. I really like the tension of the 35" scale of those. Mmmmm. I love playing closer to the neck because of the sound, but I also like the tension down at the bridge. I end up playing somewhere in the middle.

This is as long as this post is going to get. Thanks for all your help.

2. Diomedes

Diomedes

Sep 3, 2005
    West.

Go with whatever you like the most.

3. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    Well alot of this comes down to the sound that you are looking for. Modulus's usually have a pretty compressed sound. The whole fanned fret thing ive heard is a lot scarrier until you actually get the bass and then your hands get adjusted in like 2 seconds. Ive played one Nordie. It was Andey Bailey's 6 string sc. It was an extremely comfortable and easy to play bass. They also sound great. I've played one R bass. It felt nice and was light, chambered alder bodied 4 string, rosewood top, ebony fretboard, maple neck, bart j's and the haz lab pre-amp. It was a nice bass but it wasnt really my kind of sound. Also the bridge kept pulling my arm hair out......Roscoes are great basses. My teacher has a fretless 5 that sounds killer. With me though my favorite stuff that ive played is Greg Yancey and Sadowsky's. For favorite stuff i havent played is easlily Ken Lawrence. You can also check those guys out. There is a world of custom bass makers out there so just keep your eyes open for what you want. I feel like i just wrote a english essay.....

4. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Does anyone know if the whole 33" scale thing with the Rbasses works well? It seems like your strings might be a little floppy.

Anyways.. I was looking for some sort of direction.