Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassist In Trouble Here! Need Help!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by SyStemOfaDown, Jun 29, 2001.

1. About a week ago I broke my left wrist, the hand I work on the fingerboard. I'm in a band currently too and they are all pissed off, i told them to practice withoutout me til im better. Am I doomed? Is there anything I could do so that I dont lose all my technique and suck once this cast comes off??? Anyone else have this happen to them or anything like it??

2. Stangg

Stangg Guest

well, last summer, i got shot in the thumb with a pellet gun. it broke a growth plate into 3 large pieces. I couldn't play for a week, and when i finally could, i had to redo my entire technique. My thumb won't move like it used to.

post #100

3. its in my growth plate too, so they had to stick pins in my wrist. Your lucky it was only a week, im lucky to have my cast on for 6 weeks at the least! am i hopeless?

4. are you hopeless?, no, it may be a long road but you probally will play again.

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I was playing with some people a few, well almost 10 years back, when I broke my hand, I wouldnt expect the band to wait around for yours to heal..6 weeks is a long time to go without a bass player.
    When the cast comes off youll have a bit of extra work ahead of you, but theres no reason you wont be able to play again.

6. thanks for the comforting reply.. I can still work on my finger picking, which i am very fast at and dont want to lose the speed.. So what if anything could I do about my band, they are pretty pissed off at me right now even though i couldnt help it. Bass players are pretty hard to come by here

7. well the one thing you should'n do, is force it.. just take it easy on the practiving, and you're technique will come back eventually...

And for the band : I doubt you broke your wrist on purpose, so why the heck should they be angry at you ? they supposed to support you in this !!

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Assuming you have good insurance, tell your doc about your concern and they may line you up for physical therapy. That way, you'd have professionals whose responsibility is to make sure you fully recover.

By having exposure to the role of hands in surgery, the doc should appreciate the special demands you put on your hands.

BTW, I've been up your way at the Huntley Lodge in Big Sky. Beautiful country you all have!