bassist in trouble

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by mandingo man, Jul 10, 2001.

1. ok fellas ive got a brian moore i5 custom bass and a swr workingman's 15 amp but i cant seem to find a preamp that i like. the amp already has a tube preamp but i dont know if thats what i want. should i go external?

2. The1ManMoshPit

Jan 2, 2001

I don't think you need a preamp at all! I have an SWR Workingman's 12, and I LOVE the sound I get recording direct with ANY of my basses...It seems like an awful lotta dough to throw down on just a combo, when you could be using it to record as well and save the extra coupla hundred bucks. Especially seeing as lotsa people think Workingman's are too small for "serious" gigs (I would disagree, but what do I know?).

Of course, if the SWR flavour isn't for you then what can I say? Anyhoo, I suggest trying the Workingman direct out, and see how ya like it...

Cheese It!
  3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I'd also try running your bass direct, using a DI box. Sometimes a preamp isn't necessary at all. I second the comments on the SWR...they have fine preamps already. Running another outboard preamp into the SWR is really redundant and uneccesary and will introduce noise and other problems related to signal levels. More knobs is never the answer. Less is more!

The ideal situation is the get the signal of your bass into the recorder or the power section of your amp with as little modification as possible. That is, unless you like a heavily modified tone. If your bass sounds good on it's own, though, keep it clean.