1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bassist I've never heard of Ever who is insanely awesome

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by AlphaMale, Mar 9, 2008.

1. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    Abraham Laboriel is supposed to be the most widely used session bassist ever.

His slap technique is the most interesting.
    He pops with this thumb and slaps with his other four fingers.
    Yes, you read that right.

Classical trained and from Mexico.

2. reverb508

reverb508

Jan 6, 2008
    I've seen that video before. Very interesting, percussive style. It's a shame that players like him don't get the credit they deserve while (equally talented) bassists like Vic Wooten and Stu Hamm are household names (not really, but...). Session players must be incredibly humble. If I had that talent, I'd want to be in the limelight.

3. damianerskine

damianerskine

Jun 15, 2005
    Portland, or
    Endorsing artist: Skjold basses,Zon basses,Aguilar,D'Addario,GruvGear
    Abe is pretty well known, actually! So is his son (GREAT drummer. Played on a lot of sessions. Fiona Apple, a live Paul McCartney concert I saw on tv...) Abe laboriel, Jr.
    Abe, Sr. is very well known in the jazz, session, etc... circles. He's played with EVERYONE.
    Monster player

4. Freakin' awesome groove. I especially liked the look on the person (man/woman?) at the end.

Great find, gonna have to look into this guy some more.

5. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    If there was internet back when those vidios were taken, you'd have probably heard of him sooner.

6. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    Great point!
    Haha yeah wow I was very impressed. Hahha I love the "man/woman?" comment.

7. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    unfortunally he is unkown even in Mexico, i think only some musician know about him and his son, you will never going to hear any new about him in Mexico's TV or radio, he has a brother, Johnny Laboriel who is a comediant and is well know in Mexico. Abe was the bass player that made me play bass again, I stopped 15 years ago

8. Abe Jr. is a phenom of a drummer.

I saw McCartney on the 2002 tour. Aside from being in the same building as Sir Paul, the other biggest kick was seeing and hearing Abe Jr. play.

It was like having a more versatile Chuck Biscuits...

9. lhoward

lhoward

Apr 27, 2003
    Western NY State
    Actually, Abe Laboriel's been a well-known studio musician for quite a while.

He and some other Christian studio musicians formed a group called Koinonia (in either the late 70s or early 80s), including Bill Maxwell and Alex Acuna and a couple others I can't recall their names (really bad with names). Koinonia was a sort of fusion group but had a distinctly unique character considering all the members were excellent session musicians. I have three of their albums and would like to see all their albums put out on CD, but that hasn't happened yet. The albums are excellent recordings. I've played double bass since 1964 and Abe was a main reason that I decided to take up electric bass in 1983.

Lloyd Howard