Bassist John McCarthy / Rock House Releases New Book "Learn Bass, Master Edition"

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Jun 19, 2017.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    (West Haven, CT.) – Rock House, the leader in music instruction is announcing the release of a new bass guitar course by John McCarthy, one of the most prolific music instructors of this generation. This new book course includes:

152 Page Book
    Designed by John McCarthy, this Master Edition combines all levels of this award winning series in a complete course! Learn the essential techniques needed to play all genres of music. Start with how to hold the Bass for comfortable playing and fast, effective learning. Next learn rhythm, timing, basic bass lines and how to play along with a drummer. Learn 3rds, 5ths and octaves and how to apply them in a song. Plucking techniques including slap and pop and using a pick are covered in depth. Next learn scales from minor pentatonic to major scales as you play them in patterns across the neck and apply them to form bass lines and write songs. All genres of music are covered from blues to rock and from jazz to metal. Learn walking bass lines, drop D tuning and syncopated bass lines and apply them over full band backing tracks to get the sensation of playing in your own band. From theory to complete songs everything you need to Master Bass Guitar in here for you!

Bonus Video Lessons
    As an added bonus once you have registered your book at Rock House you will receive FREE video lessons focusing on techniques to help you take your playing to the next level!

Hear and Apply Each Lesson
    Download audio backing tracks and demonstrations that correspond with each lesson in the book. Hear each lesson played slowly and at regular speed. Play songs and bass lines over full band backing tracks to get the sensation of playing in a band! Register using the member number inside the last page of this book!

Lifetime Membership for Lesson Support
    You get free membership to the Rock House Method Support System on the web. Use the member number found inside the book to register for lifetime support. Use this fully interactive website to download backing tracks to play the examples over, enhance your learning experience, link with instructors and connect with a community of people around the world learning to play music using the Rock House Method.

Learn Bass Master Edition
    is available at MI retailers around the world for $24.99. All Rock House instructional products are distributed through Hal Leonard Corp Milwaukee WI.

About John McCarthy

Since 2002 John has released over 70 DVD titles and 32 Books under the Rock House, So Easy by Rock House and House of Blues brands, Guitar Method for Kids and Children’s Music Books. His lesson support site has more than 400,000 register members and grows by nearly 200 people per day. He has appeared on instructional products offered by Peavey, Washburn, Silvertone, SX, Behringer, Casio, Ovation and several other well known instrument manufacturers. John has worked on and co-written instructional programs with a list of elite musicians including Gus G, Leo Nocentelli, Oli Herbert, Doug Wimbish, Alexi Laiho, Rob Arnold, Bernie Worrell, Jerome Brailey, Marc Rizzo, David Ellefson, Dan Jacobs, Gary Hoey, Vernon Reid, Buz McGrath, Michael Padget, Kiko Loureiro and Alex Skolnick. His instructional products have sold in the millions.

Attached Files:

2. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I bought this and have been going through it rather quickly. Been playing for a while, but have been mostly self-taught, so this book looked like a good opportunity to plug any holes that I may have been missing. It is extremely well laid out and thought out. Have been breezing through the beginning, (like I said I've been playing a while), but am sure that I'm not too many pages from slowing wayyyy down and having to dig in.

One small concern is that the video section is not accessible. When you log in to the website using the special code included with the book, you see many options for purchasing future course work, in guitar almost exclusively. You can download audio and download the book itself in .pdf format, but unfortunately the "bonus video lessons" do not exist. Also there is a quiz section at the end of each section that you are supposed to be able to complete online. Don't look for that either...

The plan is quite good, as there is a members area with message board and such, so It looks like the idea is to build a community centered around learning. All in all, I would say that the layout and approach of this quite good, and even with the missing content, it's a good value.

eagle67 likes this.
  3. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Yea, confirmed. I've left a couple emails with customer service thru their website, and also viewed a few entries on their forum. They're not going to come through with the online video content, and there are no "tests" at the end of sections like the claim states.

I don't think it was intended that way, because the website just looks un-finished, and I think that the intention was to provide the content. They just never got to it. So, just know on this one, what you see is (literally) what you get, well, except for the download-able backing tracks, and being able to download the book itself in .pdf format.