1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bassist of brenda russel's song "get here"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jhay, Mar 17, 2009.

1. jhay

jhay

May 6, 2008
    Hi guys,

i tried to google up the bassist of brenda russe'ls song "get here". Nathan East came up. is this correct? please enlighten me with this one.

and by the way, i always thought it was paladino on fretless bass but i could be 200% wrong! :hyper:

thanks

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think it was Pino.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Nathan East played some truly sick bass on a 1983 Brenda Russell album called "Two Eyes." My favorite track was called Jarreau. Nathan seriously channeled Anthony Jackson on that cut!:bassist:

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Nathan East.

Pino was on Oleta Adams version of Get Here,off of her album Circle of One.

5. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    NOPE, not Nathan nor Pino. I have the album here in front of me and the credits, which are listed for each track, on "Get Here" read:

Drums & Percussion: Abe "The Schunk" Sundquist
    Bass: Sam Bengtsson
    Rhodes Piano: Joe Sample
    Synthesizers: Russell Ferrante, Peter Ljung
    Synth Guitar: Janne Schaffer
    Guitars: Henrik Janson

This is from the album (actually the cassette!) "Get Here" on A&M #CS 5179. The album was recorded in Stockholm, Sweden (among other places). Nathan East played bass on the track "Make My Day". Jimmy Haslip is on "Le Restaurant", and Ed Brow is on "Midnight Eyes". All the others seem to be synth bass.

jte

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    That is such a great album!

7. jhay

jhay

May 6, 2008
    thanks for the replies. i am just awed by the bass line of this song and wanted to play it the way it was played on the record.

you guys think it is a fretless? any bass effects you think that was used on that track?

8. Oleta Adams' version has Pino on bass on the album "Circle of One" great album. Another very good Oleta Adams cover is "don't let the sun go down on Me" to me the bass is as expressive and powerfull as "Get here"

:bag:

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Definitely fretless, the only effects I hear is maybe some compression. It also sounds like he is using his right hand up by the neck.

10. Pino did and article along with Mark King for Bass Player mag and he said he only used a Boss octive and sometimes chorus for his FX at that time. Check out Pete Townshend's White City "give blood"

:bag: