Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bassist of cake

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JJd2sc, Sep 9, 2003.

1. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    I've been listening to more cake recently, and now that I know music, I realize how good their bassist is from fashion nugget and before that. His tone is great, he grooves in every song, hes knows when to use a pick for the perfect tone, etc. What is his bass and his rig?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Fender Tele bass from the late 60's early 70's with the big fat humbucker at the neck through a Fender tube head & cab of similar vintage I believe.

I may be way off :bassist:

3. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    He uses flats too if I'm not mistaken.

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I really, really dig Cake. Good songwriting (ugh, excepting their hit, The Distance), nice spare style/arrangements and production that doesn't get in the way of the song too much. I'm pretty sure the band has undergone an almost complete lineup change, but their sound has stayed pretty much intact. Whether their signature sound was largely John McCrea's to begin with (I tend to believe this), or whether he's simply recruited guys who will play like the departed members for the sake of riding what success they've enjoyed, is unclear to me, and would be largely a matter of opinion at best, anyway. I think the old bassist left after Fashion Nugget, but I'm not sure...

:)