Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassist on Carol King's "Smackwater Jack"?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jkritchey, Feb 20, 2006.

1. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    :confused: Anyone know who the bassist is on "Smackwater Jack" by Carol King from her "tapestry" album in 1970?

There's three credited bassists in the online places I usually check: Curtis Amy, Charles Larkey, Penn Steinberg. I have not heard of these gents before. Very little productive Googling.

At any rate, it is a smokin' bass line and a great song. :bassist:

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Album creds say Charles Larkey.

3. darkblack99

darkblack99 Supporting Member

Larkey was the bassist...Curtis Amy (RIP) played tenor sax, and was also the soloist on the Doors' Touch Me.

4. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Thank you! Searching on his name seems to confirm this. He seems to have done a lot during that period with Carol King, James Taylor, Danny Kortchmar...

The other two cats seem to have DB credits...

EDIT: Well Dang! He's also got a credit in Carol King's bio as "Husband"...(hmm, electric Husband or upright?)
    http://www.nndb.com/people/108/000023039/

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    How 'bout upright husband?

Tapestry & its follow-up, Music are very nice records...

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Is that the The Soft Parade version?

The live video version(I'm sure you have probably seen it)...it looks like Plas Johnson taking the sax solo.

7. darkblack99

darkblack99 Supporting Member

Yes, The Soft Parade version. Are you thinking of the Smothers Brothers '68 appearance, Jim?

That was Curtis Amy, too...'stronger than dirt'.

;)

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Pretty cool(or is it Kool?)...

Never seen the "Wild Child" video...is it Harvey Brooks on bass? Anyway, someone is gettin' it!

...and yes, that is the "Touch Me" video I've seen(it's on one of the Dorrs' DVDs I got shelved). Always thought that it was Plas Johnson.

What's funny is m PC here at work...it plays videos "a bit uptempo". Morrison sounds like Donny Osmond.