Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bassist or bass guitarist?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MacheteJames, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Now I realize that these are just words, so before anyone can call me on that, I'll admit it myself. I'm sure some will still roll their eyes at this thread anyway.

With that said.. is "bass guitarist" a generally accepted term for musicians that play the bass guitar? I did a search on Yahoo for "bass guitarist" and got a ton of entries. The term has never really sounded right to me. I've never referred to myself as a bass guitarist, always as a bass player or a bassist. There's just something about it that I can't quite pinpoint. Maybe it's the "guitarist" part of it, that implies that the instrument is just a low-tuned, large guitar (which I suppose it is, at least in the most general sense), but I'm not sure it describes our function within a band quite right, either. When I see the word guitarist, a vision of someone with a small 6 string guitar playing chords and leads pops into my head.

What does everyone think?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, wouldn't 'bassist' imply that you play (at least) upright as well?

Bass guitarist is more specific, if you only play bass guitar, then you're a bass guitarist. :meh:

3. Does "bassist" really imply that, though? A bass viol is a bass... a bass guitar is a bass.. an electric upright is also. So isn't one who plays any of these instruments a bassist?

4. I've been playing all my life (37 years so far), upright and electric. I quit the Symphony 20 yearsa ago, so does that make me now an "Electric" bassist?

It's the same thing when someone asks me "do you play anything else besides bass"?

Well, I've studied music years ago, and it's mandatory in Germany to study also piano. Besides this irrelevancy, I always respond in kind "no, I play bass".

5. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    If a pianist strokes the ivories, and a drummer beats the skins, then what does a bassist do?

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, that's what I said(note the use of "at least" implying that there are more bass instruments) :meh:

7. How about "Master of the Low End"?

:bassist:

8. odie

odie Supporting Member

MJ- even though this isnt a direct music thing I am going to move it to MISC.

Off we go!!!

9. Neither...I 'spank the plank'. :bassist: :bassist: .

Oooh wait a minute!, the bass playing smilie is called 'bassist' so i've decided i'm one of those now. :hyper:

To be honest it's never really bothered me, although i'd probably opt for bass player.

I doesn't really matter, as it's plain for all to see that we Low End Groove Meisters are far more cool than the rest of the rabble. :cool:

10. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    I generally say that I'm a Bass Guitarist, I just feel that bassist has more conatations to upright bass, which I have next to no experience on!

So Bass Guitarist for me :bassist: (even though that smilie is called 'bassist' :()

Andy :p

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Actually, that smilie is called 'guitarist.gif' the vB code to use it is : bassist :

but the image itself is a guitarist!

12. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    you can call me Al....

:bag:

13. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Any minute now, someone is going to jump in and type: "Do a search , this topic has been covered before!!! ". ;)

Now, that being said, I consider myself a "Barse-ist"! :smug:

14. Logically, Bassist or bass player for generalization.(for upright or electric) then if you wan't to specify further, do so. I guess. anyway, enough already.

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

^Yes. Either term is correct. Everyone get over yourselves.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Frankly I'm sick of this discussion.

17. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    I am a Bassist. As one who plays piano or cello is a pianist or cellist. For no reason other than it makes me sound like I'm a better player than I am.
    Fo'