Bassist that mostly use a pick (favourite or otherwise).

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Chiba, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Chiba

Mar 11, 2005
    This may have been hashed out before, but I'm relatively new & can't find the thread if it exists...

I've been taking a bit of heat from some of my bass-playing friends for being a pick player, so I'm trying to come up with ammo to show them I'm not such a total loser (at least not for just playing with a pick).

They always throw the same guys at me - Steve Harris, Geddy Lee, the guy from Queensyrche, Cliff Burton, John Deacon, and a slew of others.

So, who are some big/famous/respected pick players other than...

Greg Lake
    Paul McCartney
    Jason Newsted
    Roger Waters
    Mike Mills
    (picked up a couple extra from pictures in other threads)

Yeah...past that I'm tapped, and most of my friends have never heard of Greg Lake anyway, so they think I'm making him up!

2. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    David Ellefson
    Scott Clendinin (sp?)
    Chris Squire
    Mike Dirnt
    Justin Chancellor
    Rex Brown

All of 'em great bass players IMO. You should definatley check any of these guys out if you have the chance.

3. UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    Fat Mike from NoFx is an awesome pick player :bassist:
  4. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Why don't you play some fingerstyle, then play with the pick and say "hear the difference in the tone? That's why I play with a pick"

It's just a different style of play that makes a different sound. I like using both styles.
  5. I've been playing with a pick for over 20 years. I'm happy and comfortable with my style. I don't get the attack or the feel or the sound when I play with my fingers. It doesn't matter what any of your bass-playing friends think. If you're competent at what you do, technique is secondary.

Keep in mind, that playing with a pick can be limiting, as can only playing with your fingers. Your best bet is to learn to play with your fingers and decide which you like best.
    If you're not Steve Harris, Geddy Lee... etc- so what?
  6. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I used to hate picks with a burning passion-- until I heard Tool. Justin Chancellor has changed my image on pick playing.

All hail Justin Chancellor.
  7. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Phil Lesh, Allen Woody and Mike "Cactus" Gordon come to mind.
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hellmut Hattler (Kraan, solo)

9. I alternate, but lately ive been using a pick more , i have a very aggressive style of playing and with me, my hard attack makes the strings sound dull with my fingers. With a pick however, I can attack as hard as I want and my sound is full and demonic.

Just tell those pick-haters to **** offf.
  10. John Deacon does use a pick , everytime ive seen him live anyway.

And God , pictured here, also sports a pick, so you can throw that in their faces ." God uses a pick"
  11. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Just as long as we're posting pictures, this man is an amazing bass player.

David Ellefson:

Buy 'Rust In Peace' or 'Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?' by Megadeth if you want to hear some great pick-playing. :bassist:

12. jimriz

Dec 28, 2004
    While I'm strictly finger-style, I must admit Dave Meros of the prog band Spock's Beard is a slammin' pick player.
  13. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Duff McKagan does a pretty decent job in GnR and Velvet Revolver.
  14. Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    How about Tom Araya from Slayer?

Better use fingers and pick.

Yeap yeap.
  15. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    joey demaio

no one on earth could play flight of the bumblebee without a pick :bassist:
  16. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    I dont evr go near picks.......

cause of pains in my wrist.....

but i have to say i really like the sound with a P-bass or spector

i qould never diss any player who plays with a pic!!! just another friend of the low end family....

why do they diss you??
  17. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Normally they're the emo-kid failed guitarists who use them from my experience.
  18. Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    That's what I generally find as well, but it gives the whole of pick playing a bad image for me =P
  19. Make sure you can play both ways, then go with the style and tone you want for a particular song. Then, encourage your guitarists to try fingerpicking and laugh heartily when they can't.
  20. MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    I've been playing for a year and a half now, and I play with a pick 90% of the time. when i do play with my fingers, its usally for slap n' pop and mellow stuff. and as The Golden Boy put it, WHO CARES! if your comfortably playing with a pick then play with a bloody pick. and dont forget GODs son Matt Freeman
    *get well soon Matt*