1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bassist video thread

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jzucker, Apr 18, 2006.

1. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Anyone compiled a list of great bass videos? Either instructional or otherwise?

Examples.

Bass Day '98 (Wooten, Burbridge, etc)
    Super Session II (Marcus Miller)
    Bill Dickens Bass Beyond Limits

2. I was just about to start a thread on this same topic. If anyone has any good videos for sale hit me up. I so tired of listening to my guitar players say "dude, I just saw this sweet video, now I can do sweeps, I'm so awesome" I need to get on the ball and learn some new techniques myself so that I too can claim how awesome I am.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Well, this isn't just about the bassist, and it's not instructional, but sure does kick butt. And it's free to watch online!

4. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    stu hamm: slap, tap & pop

5. ^ x2

6. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    i really liked the jaco pastorius instructional one.. I watched a John Myung - dream theater guy, instructional video and there was some decent info but it wasn't very inspirational. He had so little excitment it was almost like his mom made him practice bass every day and he really hates it.

7. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Does Pastorius teach his muting technique in that?

8. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao EspaƱa
    Whats that fro-master in the keyboards doing with his hands on the last part of the video????

9. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    My list includes:
    Bill Dickens, the Collection
    Beaver Felton, slap happy , and bass workout
    Abraham Laboriel, slap something or other ???
    Also have a Phil Keaggy electric guitar video
    Oh, and maybe I'm old school or something but I totally dig those 70's afro's....

10. www.basslobster.com

Check out the video section, my favorites are the Bass Day '98 jam, Michael Manring's Teen Town tribute, the Vail Johnson vid (just think it sounds pretty cool), and Jaco playing Portrait of Tracy.

11. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Boston
    This website is in French, but has a lot of GREAT learning videos for beginners/intermediates...

http://www.slappyto.net/

12. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Jaco Pastorious - Modern Electric Bass
    James Jamerson & Bob Babbitt - Standing in the shadows of Motown

i just bought both of these. the jaco video is amazing. he teaches you techniques and his licks and then james with scofield and kenwood dennard. and he has a duet with jerry jemmott! i haven't checked out the motown one yet but i have heard rave reviews about it.

13. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    WRONG FORUM!! Got nothing to do with basses.

This needs to be moved to either the "Bassist" forum or maybe the "Instruction" forum.

Reported for transfer..

14. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Moved.:)

15. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I agree it is the wrong category but why does such an old thread get your dander up so greatly?

And besides, since when does basses not have to do with bass players? The basses do get played, right?!? :eyebrow:

16. DUDE, That is THE Herbie Hancock! And he was doing a wave knowing that the machine woudl make that wave noise...he also looked like he was going up in flames there!

Herbie's great, and if you get teh Head Hunters album the sound quality is dope some of the best grooves and crazy avant garde, funky, inspired jazz in history.

Awe yea...but I never knew he had a fro like that! :oops:

17. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    It's rediculously no one has posted any reviews of the dvds in the GEAR REVIEW section. This is seriously something that would assist in purchasing videos. Instructional videos can be horrible at times.

www.bassbooks.com i didn't see if this was mentioned yet but there are some reviews on certains dvds and they seem to have a wide selection.

In a few days ill be getting the advanced bass dvd with billy sheehan ill tell you guys how i feel about that.