Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassist vs. Bass Player, who cares?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Matt Till, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Why do some of you guys make a big deal of this. Ala I'm a Bassist, not a bass player from Obsolex's signature. Why are you a bass player not a bassist. :confused: or visa versa.

Let the music do the talking, etc. :rolleyes:

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I like to think of myself as a musician first and foremost.

either that or as a musical prankster

3. You forgot bass guitarist.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Yeah, well, there is always that. But if you were in a band, and someone introduced you as "The Bassist" would you say, "Ahem... bass player." And then do this :cool: ?

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

ahahahah *wipes tear from eye* that's really funny.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I remeber debate of this earlier (a while ago) but I'd imagine if I searched for "Bass Player" on talkbass, I wouldn't get much luck.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I consider myself a musician....

I primarily play stringed instruments in the "Guitar" family. I prefer the electric "Bass" of the family.

I guess I'm a "Bass Guitarist" if you need to label me.

Someday I hope to learn the double bass... maybe then I could be a "Bassist".

But anyway I look at, you can call me a "Jack***" and so long as I can create and express myself... I couldn't care less.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Who gives a ****?

9. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I think both those terms are the same. Someone who plays the bass is a bass player. Bass player=Bassist

I just don't get how people can get irked by this. :rolleyes:

10. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    conical johnson:

string jockey.

11. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I forgot who has it, but the best ,and most applicable for me, is Low Frequency Provider, seeing as I play bass guitar, tuba, and upright bass.

12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Really, it is, or should be, a non-issue.

13. player. Bass player=Bassist =girlbassplayer=Bassist

:bag: Treena

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I prefer "the good-looking one."

brad cook

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    To be honest, I consider myself a songwriter first. I just happen to be a damn good bassist! :p I've been writing for about 20+ years, and I've been playing bass for about 6.

16. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Personally, even before I put that in my profile... I read probably about 10 or 20 of these threads on "bass-player vs. bassist", and I came up with my own little conclusion reading each and everyones opinions...

I kind of view the name "bass-player", as someone who plays it, just to be in a band (occasionally), someone who plays just for fun (occasionally), or someone who just ****s around when ever they are bored as **** (occasionally)...

I sort of view the name "bassist", as someone who get's something more from the instrument... Like, it is a part of them. They practice a lot, study it and music, and if they didn't play bass, a part of them would be gone, or something ;) :rolleyes:.

I mean, also, when I tell friends if someone else plays guitar guitar, I tell them, "yeah, he's a good guitarist,", not a good "guitar-player".

Anyway, just from reading other comments I got the view that a "bassist" was/is someone who "loves" bass (the instrument ;)).

But I guess it doesn't REALLY matter...
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah-
    late-

17. John Entwistle was a bassist.
    I am a lowly bass-player, as are most of y'all.

18. So, Bass Player magazine is only for non-serious musicians? :rolleyes:

Come on, will this crap ever end? Would you call a pro football player a "footballist"? Bassist and bass player are the exact same thing.

This debate is just as useless as the infamous "Should the bass guitar be renamed?" thread.

19. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Actually man, I think your right... lol ;) :D

20. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I don't even know why this is being discussed. Regardless whether you prefer to be called a bassist or a bass player, you're playing the same instrument so let it rest already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.