Bassist VS Drummer

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by FunkMachine, Jul 31, 2004.

1. FunkMachine

Jul 13, 2004
    About 6 months ago, my band was setting up on stage to play our set. As usual, our two guitarists were taking ages and messing about with huge pedals and such.

To entertain the impatient crowd, I played a 10 second slap rudiment and waited for some sort of "oooh, ahhhh" reaction. Looking up after having played the simple chop, suddenly I hear our drummer mimmicking what I just played on his drumkit.

What followed...was a bass vs drums battle. I continued to play another rudiment, and he 'played' it on drums.
    Everytime I played a different chop, I would stop, and then let the drummer do his interpretation of it.
    Even our guitarists at this point stopped messing about and were watching.

Everytime my drummer managed to pull off a comeback (FYI: He was mimmicking my basslines using different parts of his kit to represent the different sounds I was getting out of my bass, and he was adding his own rolls and fills to spice it up and force me into making my next chop even harder)..The crowd went nuts.

This 'battle' went on for 5 minutes, Until I thought I'd end it by playing a 30 second free time solo, which he surely could not follow, but did a great job on a solo of his own.

The crowd loved it. Its a bit hard to describe how the battle actually happened, but I hope you can figure it out for yourselves and maybe try it out with your bands; its great fun. Now we have whole band battles at our jam sessions and usually buy the winner a beer, or something like that.
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Dude, I love that stuff. You should have been recording it!
  3. Yue

Jul 15, 2004
    Midland, MI
    My my... That sounds like good fun! I'll be cheering for you! I hope I'm in a real band one day... Somehow, I ended up in one that doesn't exist (yet?) Haha, I'm still confused about how that happened...
  4. The best way to win one of those is to throw a peice of bacon to one side of the stage , and the drummer will leap after it, cause we all know that drummers are like beasts.....
  5. I had an experience very similar to Funkmachine's. But in my case it occured when my drummer made a lot of noise while the rest of the band tried to discuss something.

I went :mad: and wanted him to shut the **** up, so I just made the most aggressive slappingnoise I could with my bass.

Then he tried to response to that and he actually did that in a great way. I responded his "statement" and so we went on while the rest of the band went :rollno: ...
  6. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    that's great! remeber that when a guitarist breaks a string or you have an equipment problem during a gig, the battle would be a great time killer and crowd pleaser.
  7. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Every one I've dealt with does that. As long as they're sitting behind a kit, they'll just start randomly beating on **** just for the sake of making noise, even if you're trying to have a conversation. My last drummer started that during an argument I was having with the guitarist, and I took his sticks and threw them.

I guess I'll write it off to the defective drummer gene.
  8. That's pretty cool.:) I bet that must have been so much fun.:)
  9. Nice 1. I will have to try that with the drummer I play with.
  10. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    That is grade A awesome.