Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassist wanted or bassist available forum?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by cassanova, Apr 13, 2002.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Paul, on a rare ocassion we get people posting in bassists, that they are seeking a bass player or a bassist is seeking work. I was wondering if a forum in the classifieds section could be created for musicians seeking musicians?

Not all of the Talkbass members are in working bands, some are interested in doing session work, some joining a band. This would be a good way for lurkers to find musicians in there area, or even help the members find a gig. Just an Idea that Ive been keeping in the back of my head for awhile now.

Also IMO it makes more sense to have them posted there, than it would in the bassists forums.

2. Great Idea Cass!

A Bassists work classififed section would be great since it would pop up on most internet search engines.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    this would be a great addition to the setup, imo.

4. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    wanted and available sounds like a good idea.

enhancements to that idea would be if the ads could be geographically categorized ...

also ... bassists who need to find other bassists as subs (or to fill the spot in the band they're leaving cause they hate the gig ... LOL!)

and by the way, i'm the "earl scheib" of the bass industry ... "i'll play any gig for $99.95!"

how it sounds, well, let's hope for the best ...

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    For those uf us who remember Earl...:D !!!

Make it mandatory to provide MP3 samples too!

6. Well Zulu, not everyone has the capability or knowledge to make mp3's. Like me for example. I can make a wav file.

The option to have mp3's should be available, but I don't think it should be mandatory.

7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Um...I was kidding, sorta.
    Sorry!

8. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    A great idea. Give me a week to get things set up. If you have any more ideas or thoughts on this, go ahead and post 'em here -

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    How about a game show like Hollywood Squares, only with kids? Gary Coleman could host.

Oh.

I'm...in...the...wrong place.

Sorry.

10. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I'm not sure that I like that idea. In areas that have a lot of members, we might see undercutting and grudges held.

I'm not saying that that WOULD be the case, but I think it's something that should be considered...

How about a "Teacher Wanted" or "Teacher Available" section?

11. I see where you are coming from, but I don't think it would really be a problem. If someone said they were looking for a bass player in Sacramento, Ca. there are a few of us in the area. How many of us in the Sac area would be 1)willing 2)able or 3)good enough? If everyone wanted the position, I assume the band would have auditions, and choose the bassist they thought best for the band. I don't see alot of animosity coming up over that. And if it did, I doubt it would spill over into the forums. And if it did, I'm sure the mods would mop it up really quick.

The teacher wanted/ available section is a good idea too. It would be easy to stick it over in the classifieds section. Or make the EB and DB classifieds plus the Wanted/ Available classifieds another forum altogether.

12. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    In the case of auditions, I see what you mean. However, some bands don't really hold auditions (or are just looking for fill-ins) and will take the first player that they think can pull it off due to time constraints. This would be doubly the case if this were session work (if, by some enormous miracle, somethig like that were to ever get posted here... mhmmmm) Or, they might play the field and see who will play for the least amount of money.

You're right that the mods could clean up any messes that arose as a result - but I still see this as a potential time bomb...

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    bump...

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Maybe it could have separate classifications;

- "Whoopass Basssists Seeking Gigs"

- "Bassists on the Verge of Fame Seeking Gigs"

- "Bassists Seeking a Per Diem"

- "Bassists Seeking a Decent Sound System, Free Drinks and One Night Stands"

- "Bassists Seeking Free Big Macs w/extra cheese and LARGE Fries"

- "Bassists Who Sell Their Plasma to Get New Strings"