Bassist wanted....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jbennardo, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Check this ad out....

"We are a cover/original act that is part classic rock / rock-a-billy. Covers range from Pearl Jam to Johnny Cash. Need a quick study who thinks on his/hers toes and does homework. Will be working 10-12 gigs a month starting July/August.Need 2 B solid pocket player / no Jaco's! ... "

Perhaps we can exact some revenge like so:

band seeks guitar player that won't complain about bass player's volume or facial expression on stage. must know how to play real chords and not rely on power chords. No two-hand tappers or whammy bar people.

Just havin' some fun. I'm stuck inside in Florida watching a hurricane pass by.
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    :eek: Are you equating Jaco with EVH?!

Agreed. I'd be tempted to put in an ad like that just for fun.
  3. Here we go...

Aspiring professional bassist looking for guitarist to hold down fundamentals and stand by drummer. Want cash? Don't bring flash..."
  4. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Drummer and guitarist wanted. Drummer must have a drum machine. Guitarist must be able to play with more than two fingers "no smoke on the waters".
  5. I don't see anything really wrong with the first ad. I think you guys are taking it a little too seriously...not everyone needs or wants a Jaco Pastorius-type bass player in their band.
  6. The most troubling thing about that ad is the CONTROL being thrown about. Just doesn't sound like much fun being in a band if you can't express yourself a bit. Doesn't mean every lick or riff has to be a Jaco.

Just a bit of humor for us, that's all.
  7. I think the guitarist doesnt want to be shown up by his/her bass player, a la Jaco, Rush, etc.
  8. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Or the guitarist wants to be the wanker and let the drums and bass just be in the pocket. 2 B in the pocket and no Jaco's in the same add.....hmmmmm sounds like someone wants to be a "superstar"
  9. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    whatever it is , it's an admission of guilt.

/tosses first stone , durka durka salam jihad!
  10. Sorry, couldn't help but think of Molly Shannon.

The band I was in before this one had a very obsessive guitar player. So much so, that our set list was more about what would showcase him more than what the crowd could dance to/enjoy. The funniest moment is when we busted out a version of "Circles" by Satriani. The small crowd just stared at us with mouths agape - not sure what they were supposed to do.

He always told us that he wanted to do material that would impress people, make them respect us. By his standards, the band I'm in now sucks. Our stuff isn't particularly difficult but sure does get the crowd going.