1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bassist who doesn't play bass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Cerio, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Cerio

Cerio

Apr 7, 2006
    I've always been interested in learning bass from hearing non-bass players. Who do you think is the best guy to pay attention? My vote, maybe quite obvious goes for the great Stevie Wonder...

2. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    I am having difficulty following you.

Are you asking which musicians are good to listen to who are NON-Bass Players?

EDIT: If this is the case, have a listen to Ray Charles

Also, are you looking for more "soloist" type acts?

3. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Check out the master of organ bass Jimmy Smith.

4. Cerio

Cerio

Apr 7, 2006
    Sorry. I mean musicians who plays bass lines (usually on keyboards) but aren't bassist theirselves (Joey deFrancesco, Jimmy Smith, etc.)

5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Stevie Wonder has a serious groove going, but I don't think that qualifies as bassline.

6. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    Also check out organ man Larry Goldings on Maceo Parker's " Life on Planet Groove"

7. Twiggy Jr.

Twiggy Jr.

Nov 17, 2005
    Oklahoma
    trent reznor, Nine inch nails...he "is nine inch nails" i know on the first (i believe 2) albums...pretty hate machine and downward spiral

8. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah Stevie gets a vote from me.
    How about foot pedal genius Neal Evans from Soulive?

9. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    In the electronic music realm, I like the bassline on Jean-Michel Jarre's Oxygene Part 4, which he played on an ARP 2600 synthesizer I believe.

I'm sure there are other basslines played by non-bassists that I like, but I haven't yet finished my morning coffee and I can't think of others yet...

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I would have to put Stevie Wonder's keyboard bass at the top, but I also love Bernie Worrell (One Nation Under aa Groove, Flashlight, Kneedeep). I also love David Frank from the System.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Keyboardist Rod Temperton wrote many a Pop/R&B tune that had a bassline as the hook(Heatwave's "The Groove Line", "Boogie Night", "Eyeballing", "One Night Tan", etc + Michale Jackson's "Thriller", "Off The Wall", etc + Manhatten Transfer's "Mystery", etc).

Greg Phillaganes, Rufus' "Hawk" Wolinski, & Michael Omartian (James Ingram's "Yah Mo B There") are others in the sane league as Wonder, FRank, & Worrell.

...and how 'bout Brian Taborn's 'bass' work on the Fender Rhodes? Check out Chris Potter's Underground album.

12. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    KĂžbenhavn
    Joe Zawinul!!!

13. Schwaa

Schwaa

Feb 25, 2006
    I like the 'bass lines' on The Doors albums. Soul Kitchen comes to mind. That was all keyboard.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Sometimes the doors brought in studio bass players too.

15. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Stevie +1!

16. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Definitely Neil Evans of Soulive and of The Division Group.

17. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    I second RAy Manzerek from the Doors. Even though alot of the lines had real bass , they also had keyboard bass to make a stonger sound and he came up with the basslines . Robbie Kreiger , John Desnmore, and Ray Manzerek are really underrated guys they are very fantastic musicians and really genius minds.Morrisons lyrics were also very great and deep too.
    Also I say Stevie , Jimmy Smith , Bernie Worrell , and even Tina Wymouth on keyboard bass (Stop MAking Sense album has a bunch and the song Burnin Down the House is keyboard bass)

18. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Thta's exactly who I was thinking of when I got to your post...

(cue Twilight Zone intro music)

19. Colin Marston of Behold...the Arctopus is a guitar player and plays a Warr Guitar. That counts in my mind.

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Bernie Purdie's kick patterns!!! That, my friend, is a serious anchor! From a bassist pov, listening to a good kick drum pattern gives you instructions on how and what to play. Purdie is the master of that, IMO. That man so good, that he makes a bassist's rests seem like strokes of genius! Guitarist Earl Klugh would be another guy I'd add. As for a horn player, Tom Scott (sax).