Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassist who's unable to play well despite 1,5 years experience

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Abr@hamBassBoy, Mar 1, 2003.

1. I've been playing bass for like 1,5-2 years now and I've realized that i suck!! I can't play the bass solo in "my genereation" for instance... Am I abnormal??

2. SkaKing27

SkaKing27

Sep 1, 2002
    St.Louis MO
    Do you take lessons or have somone who is more expirenced than you around so they can teach you?

3. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I've been playing bass for over 10 years and I can't play the solo from "My Generation" either. Maybe I could if I tried to learn it though - you're not gonna just wake up one day and be able to play every cool bass line you ever heard. It takes practice....

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't know if judging your ability to play a bass solo relates to how good you are. But as far as the solo itself goes, take it apart bar by bar. Find out what you can play easily and what will take you a while. Whatever measure of the solo tends to give you trouble just work on that for a while. Once you combine that with the parts that are cake for you... you've got yourself a bass solo.

I believe I'll have to quote Alice from Alice in Wonderland in saying, "I give myself very good advice, but I rarely ever take it."

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Here's what's happened: You've hit the proverbial wall. It happens, and don't panic. Adam Nitti rescued me the last time, but I see another wall coming up. Luckily, this bass god down here named Za pulled me aside and showed me how to do arppegios inside the cycle of 5ths, and now I'm off and running again, because that showed me how Marcus Miller comes up with alot of his solos! If you want to learn your favorite bass tunes, explore the minor scales. I found out about 2 years ago that alot of STP's basslines are written in minor keys and Cameo's are wriiten in major keys.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I'm curious... how many years is that 1,5-2 :confused:

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    remember this? :)

perhaps it's this approach to thinking about bass that has hamstrung your progress.

learning about, knowing and understanding music theory would prevent this kind of wall from coming into your way.

8. I have been playing bass for about 3 months now,and I believe that I am not at the 'level' where i should be,well...what Ima do is put it in over time! Ima play as much as I can and things like that...and if you're stumpt on just that 1 solo,then do what matt said,break it down...do the simple parts to the hardest parts...and PRACTICE!

Just my 2 cents.

-Jon:oops:

9. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    a comma "," is used in many parts of the world that use teh metric system, instead of a period "." in numbers. Also, the "." and "," are right next to each other on a keyboard (typo). :D

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    JT: GREAT post! Talk about a boomarang!

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Woodchuck, the arpegio in the cycle of 5ths sounds interesting, is there anything on the web about it?

And Matt, Aqua Teen rules!!!!

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I hit a wall more than once...untill I finnally broke down and started learning. I asked my Brad Barker (friend) about a teacher, and he got me started. UNfortuneately, money, time, and a few other sundry things got in the way of continued lessons. Fortunately, it gave me the kick in the pants to get up and actually start/keep learning. Addmittedly, an actual teacher would be more effective, but I've been teaching myself for quite some time now, and made a heckuva progress from before I started.

Feel is like beauty: it may take you places, but it will only take you so far.

Then you need to KNOW.

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thanks 'chuck. i aim to please :D

14. everybody learns at their own pace.. but wow, it took you 15 year to realized you suck. dont worry, with practice you wont suck.

15. For those who apparently are unable to understand the very sophisticated metric system ;), I will repeat the time of my playing which is somewhere between 1 and a half year or 2 years. Do ya all understand now?

Perhaps I should explain it in swedish as well?:D

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

OH, 1.5-2 I get it. Wow... that's not long at all... the fact that you can't play My Generation's bass solo isn't all that shocking. Word on the street is that John Entwhistle was pretty good. :bassist: I wish we went by the metric system in the USA, it's so much more efficiant.

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, using a comma as a decimal delimeter is a eurpean thing, not metric. it's just not done that way in the states - commas for thousands, periods for decimal delimeter - so folks over here are going to be a bit confused by that.

now, if you explained it in swedish you'd have almost everybody confused. :D

18. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    not me! because of a few people on this site and my compulsive need to know everything, i have a swedish translator bookmarked. :D

19. How often does that come handy? Not very often I assume :(... therefore I have come up with a phrase in swedish which you may look at and translate, if you will...

En ytterst trevlig företeelse som tycks gynna både dig och mig i fråga om kommunikation på svenska!

Over and out!

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Not being able to figure out the bass solo in "My Generation" is not a sign that you suck after 1.5-2 years. I dont think I could have done a good job at it after that amount of time. It takes time to learn these things and develop a good sense of whats going on.

Peace
    Nick