1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bassist with Jeff Lorber

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Suresh, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Suresh

Suresh

Apr 15, 2007
    Hi Guys!
    Any body knows the bass players name who use to play with Jeff Lorber.Looksaround 45yrs old,with glasses and uses Bossa
    bass.?
    Thank you very much
    Regards
    Robert

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

How long ago? Alec Milstein maybe? Brian Bromberg played on his last cd. He wears glasses. He plays a Dean (formerly Peavey) Brian Bromberg custom bass though.

3. That would be Nate Phillips. Great player and person. I got to work with him with Jeff Lorber and Richard Elliot and a few other smooth jazz artists several times as RM/FOH.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Geez, if he had said a black guy, I would have immediately said Nate! Yes, Nate wears glasses as well.

5. Suresh

Suresh

Apr 15, 2007
    DW bass and rdm thanks!

6. Suresh

Suresh

Apr 15, 2007
    rdm,now that you mentioned you worked wth him,do you know the bass and amp he uses.I hv an old DVD where he performed with Jeff Lorber and Herb Alpert, he uses a 5 str fender looking bass.I think it sounded awesome.A few yrs ago I saw him performed at the Java Jazz Festival and I think he uses a Bossa bass.
    I currently use Alembic basses and I never get that warm and fat sound Nate has with
    the fender looking bass.
    I cant be sure cause the camera never get a close picture of the bass.
    They dont even list the players name nor any introductions.
    If you hv any infos,I would really appreciate it if you could share it.
    Thanks again.
    robert

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

As per Bassplayer and Bossa, he does play a Bossa 5 string.

[​IMG]

8. When I worked with Nate as far as I can remember he was playing Bossa basses.

As far as amps, typically the standard smooth jazz/ fusion backline bass rig most players ask for when doing fly in dates is a SWR SM900 w/2 Goliath 4x10s. The last time I saw him here in Fla he was also using a Boss GT6B with a wireless in ear setup running off it.